Brakes Sn95 rear brake swap question

Foxybody95

Sep 14, 2015
Hey guys, I have a little dilema that I cant find much info on currently I have a fox with a 93 cobra rear brake swap with a 5 lug and I didnt realize it at the time but theres no good pads available for this set up and the e brake sticks almost every time its engaged. I’m looking to swap to a sn95 rear brake caliper for the better pad options. Problem is I dont know what all I will need. These brake set ups look very similar so will the back plates I already have for a 93 cobra work with a sn95 rear brake or will I need new ones?

• Sponsors (?)

My experience is no. You will need to find a 94-98 v6 or v8 car and strip the axles out on the rear end. Axles in the 7.5 and 8.8 are the same as are the brakes.

The 93 Cobra, the 87-93, and the Turbo Coupe 8.8 housing are identical as are the 94-98 8.8 housings.

The 93 Cobra and Turbo Coupes have completely different rear brakes than the SN95 which means the axle flange bracket, caliper bracket and the caliper are different than the SN95.

Are you using offset brackets?

No, you can’t reuse the 93 cobra bracket. You will need to buy new brackets to match the sn95 rotors you are using.

Which ones you should use depends on the front brakes you have

They are rear brakes which do how much of the total braking? If it were me I would just go with new pads and find the source of the issue with the sticking ebrake and cure it

Reactions: 1 user
So is the rear end out of an actual 93 Cobra or Turbo Coupe and was converted to 5 lug?
No, its the factory 8.8 housing in the car. Just converted to a 5 lug with 93 cobra brakes.
They are rear brakes which do how much of the total braking? If it were me I would just go with new pads and find the source of the issue with the sticking ebrake and cure it
They dont make ceramic brake pads for the 93. And the E brake lever isnt removable so theres no way to fix it.

Are you using offset brackets?

No, you can’t reuse the 93 cobra bracket. You will need to buy new brackets to match the sn95 rotors you are using.

Which ones you should use depends on the front brakes you have
I have cobra front brakes from an sn95/new edge cobra. Doesnt really matter though. I’d use GT/rear brakes or cobra brakes in the rear doesnt really matter to me. I have a proportioning valve so adjust it for whatever brakes are on there.

My experience is no. You will need to find a 94-98 v6 or v8 car and strip the axles out on the rear end. Axles in the 7.5 and 8.8 are the same as are the brakes.

The 93 Cobra, the 87-93, and the Turbo Coupe 8.8 housing are identical as are the 94-98 8.8 housings.

The 93 Cobra and Turbo Coupes have completely different rear brakes than the SN95 which means the axle flange bracket, caliper bracket and the caliper are different than the SN95.
You can find backer plates that will work in converting a sn95 brake to a foxbody axle. No need to swap the housings. I just wanted to know if I can use that stuff I already had rather than having to buy new stuff.

The brackets are easy to find if you are running fox lenght 5-lug axles.

they have both GT and cobra brackets, but those brackets are designed to work with fox lenght specific 5-lug axles.

If you have a standard 93 cobra bracket setup with OEM brackets, then the axles are likely 94-98 axles with the rotors drilled for 5-lug. Then you either need to track down used GT/cobra axle brackets, or buy the M-2300-M kit.

Which route depends on which 5-lug axles you have in there now. That’s why we are asking questions on current setup so we can get you the right parts

Last edited:
Pretty sure 93 Cobras were four lug so how was it converted to 5 lug? Just trying to make sure we know exactly how this was done so you are getting to correct advise.

Did not see Mustang5L5's response so he is getting you in the right direction. You either already have SN95 rear brakes or some kind of hybrid.

Reactions: 1 users