Engine SN95 valve covers - stud mounted rockers

HELP!!!! I'm almost done with a 347 stroker rebuild for my '94 Mustang. I am running Flotek 205 heads with TFS 1.6 stud mounted roller rockers, roughly measures 3" to the top of the studs. I mocked up a set of tall valve covers, but they won't clear the alternator, which from what I've read on other forums is a common issue. Otherwise they fit great clearance wise with my rockers, other than needing a spacer for the upper intake. Is there an off the shelf valve cover out there that will fit around the alternator (i.e. a notch fabbed into the cover)? Anyone have any for sale? If none, what are my options to relocated the alternator or modify to make it work?

• Sponsors (?)

Would shaft rockers be any better for clearance? After years of screwing around with studs, guide plates, and locks, I'm ready to shell out the extra money for shaft rockers on my next engine build if they fix yet another issue with stud rockers.

Would shaft rockers be any better for clearance? After years of screwing around with studs, guide plates, and locks, I'm ready to shell out the extra money for shaft rockers on my next engine build if they fix yet another issue with stud rockers.
Probably found an answer elsewhere since it's been over 10 days.

Kurt

No way no how would the stock valve covers clear my roller rockers. I even tried fox body covers and they wouldn't clear. I'm running pro comp heads. I ended up using cheap stamped steel covers but they work fine.

No way no how would the stock valve covers clear my roller rockers. I even tried fox body covers and they wouldn't clear. I'm running pro comp heads. I ended up using cheap stamped steel covers but they work fine.
Good info, thanks!

What intake manifold did you run and was it with a spacer? ...and did you use an SN throttle adapter?

5589FD5B-3541-44B0-8430-7833E2E35ABD.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I bought a pair of Canton cast aluminum valve covers from Summit for my '86 with TFS TW heads and Pro Magnum roller rockers. They look like the stock units but are polished and are tall enough to clear the valvetrain.

Bill

I bought a pair of Canton cast aluminum valve covers from Summit for my '86 with TFS TW heads and Pro Magnum roller rockers. They look like the stock units but are polished and are tall enough to clear the valvetrain.

Bill
Unfortunately that is not helpful on SN cars. The SN engine is about 3" shorter, and the alternator sits way back interfering with the passenger side valve cover. The factory cast valve covers from a foxbody will not work on an SN. The fitment of valve covers on foxbody cars has no bearing on the fitment with SN cars.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Well I even tried fox covers with baffle removed and bosses ground down as much as I could but still no go. I had the height but the bosses were contacting the rockers. They did seem to clear the alternator by literally a hair. As stated I used stamped steel covers. Dirt cheap and plenty of clearance.

Well I even tried fox covers with baffle removed and bosses ground down as much as I could but still no go. I had the height but the bosses were contacting the rockers. They did seem to clear the alternator by literally a hair. As stated I used stamped steel covers. Dirt cheap and plenty of clearance.
Sorry to dig this thread up again but which stamped steel valve covers did you buy that will clear the alternator? Thanks.

Sorry to dig this thread up again but which stamped steel valve covers did you buy that will clear the alternator? Thanks.
The Moroso stamped steel ones will clear. It's a combination of issues. The stamped steel valve covers clear the alternator, but then they sit so high they don't clear the intake. The cast Trick Flow valve covers clear everything.

Kurt