Sn95 vs Fox: Lets talk rust

The Rambo version looks exactly like an updated Mustang II.
It's hard to believe this version didn't make production since making the same mistake over and over is right from Ford's playbook.

As for what became the SN95,the soft rounded lines of the SN95 or any vehicle from this era with this design language just didn't age well.The design of the interior of the SN95 with all the ovals.....what were they thinking??

• Sponsors (?)

After a couple first gen mustangs, then an ‘86 GT, I bought a brand new Trans Am in 1995. I just couldn’t get myself to like that style Mustang. I’ve eased up on that stance as years went on, but definitely not my favorite.

I was in HS in 1997/1998 when I bought my Fox. I lusted after a 1998 Cobra in chrome yellow. When I graduated college, I wanted a 2003 Mach 1 in Azure blue, but had to "settle" for my 2003 GT as I was still just a poor college grad with a bazillion dollars in school loans. :(

Even though i'm a fox guy, the SN95 was what was new when I was coming of age, so I remember seeing those cool 20-something's showing up at HS to pick up the 17-18 year old girls I was into with their Cobra convertibles.

That's why desipte the new models, and increased HP, i keep going back to the 96-98 Cobra vert as a car i'd like to own one day.

Reactions: 1 users
I started off with 94-95 SN95's before I bought my first fox. Had a couple GT's and a cobra. IMO, even though they share the same platform they drive completely different and have their own individual "feel". The fox is just more raw/muscle car like while the SN95 tracks better, is more refined, and has better interior materials. All comes down to what you prefer. I do miss my 95' Cobra though...

P1010007.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I started off with 94-95 SN95's before I bought my first fox. Had a couple GT's and a cobra. IMO, even though they share the same platform they drive completely different and have their own individual "feel". The fox is just more raw/muscle car like while the SN95 tracks better, is more refined, and has better interior materials. All comes down to what you prefer. I do miss my 95' Cobra though...

P1010007.JPG

But do you miss that wing backed chair?

Kurt

• Haha
But do you miss that wing backed chair?

Kurt

Ha! Sitting in that chair with a cold one after a long day of wrenching was great. I just burned that chair alongside a garage couch I had for 15+ years. It needed done, those things had seen some stuff in their day.... So yea, I miss it

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I bought a Fox convertible because I’ve wanted one since I was 10. The 94+ cars had no real appeal to me, though I do like the 98-2001 refine of the design ( I did have an 01 Focus ZX3 I had bought new, “New Edge” isn’t lost on me.)

I love the simplicity of the Fox cars, inside and out. I like the cleaner style of the LX, but my GT spoke to me. I’m an 80’s kid, we had a bunch of 80’s Fords growing up, so there’s definitely nostalgia here.I can appreciate the refinements made to SN95 and so on. But other than a Bullitt car from 03(?) I have no desire to own any other Mustang earlier than 2015. My brother has a 2010 GT vert in Windveil, it’s definitely way more car than a Fox, but I have no desire for it.

The F bodies were faster, but they are absolute GM junk. A great powertrain wrapped in a crappy car describes a lot of GMs stuff to me.

Man I hate what New England weather does to cars.

New cars do seem to take it better.

Whatever coatings or treatments they do to the underside of new cars does seem to make a difference. If you have an F250 and plow, it still will look terrible underneath, but for the average sedan, they are a hell of a lot better.

My last car (AWD infiniti) I drove to 170k miles and ripped that thing in the snow whenever I could. Even at 170K, I could still get suspension bolts off with a little WD40. The only rust issue i had was the exhaust, which rusted out in placed and needed patches.

My latest Taurus has 120K and I drive it in the snow. The underside looks pristine. You'd actually be amazed at how clean it is for a new England car. I have done some suspension work recently and all the bolts looked great and came out no problems. Does it look like a southern car? of course not...but it's not bad.

New cars do seem to take it better.

Whatever coatings or treatments they do to the underside of new cars does seem to make a difference. If you have an F250 and plow, it still will look terrible underneath, but for the average sedan, they are a hell of a lot better.

My last car (AWD infiniti) I drove to 170k miles and ripped that thing in the snow whenever I could. Even at 170K, I could still get suspension bolts off with a little WD40. The only rust issue i had was the exhaust, which rusted out in placed and needed patches.

My latest Taurus has 120K and I drive it in the snow. The underside looks pristine. You'd actually be amazed at how clean it is for a new England car. I have done some suspension work recently and all the bolts looked great and came out no problems. Does it look like a southern car? of course not...but it's not bad.

As a used car guy... they aren't that much better. I still see rusty stuff all the time :)

Some cars are better than others, though.

When I was in Maine last year my dad told me he had to get the exhaust changed on my Moms Toyota. I told him "don't be silly and pay a shop, it is an exhaust. Let me look at it". I put the car on ramps, looked underneath and I said "so dad, which shop is this going to?" The exhaust looked like it had lived it's life as a lobster boat anchor.

Chris

• Haha
We only have rust problems when you live on the coast at the water and park outside. Salt air in the evening and early morning will put a film on everything.
Northern cars rust from the bottom up, ours rust from the top down.