So after my overheating issue, the car will not start now

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
It's acting like it has a dead battery. The battery is however, good. 90% charge on the charger, and it starts my Audi up fine. I've checked all of the connections, and everything *looks* fine. It won't crank, it only clicks. FP does the typical 'clicky clicky clicky' noise. When I try to start the car, *everything* dies (interior lights, clock, etc.) until I put the key back to off, and then put it back to acc.

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

try grounding the starter, easy way is to take a jumper cable, connect it to the neg terminal on the batt. connect the other end to one of the starter bolts and try to crank it, if it turns over u know its the ground

also if u have a test light test for power down there

if your getting +12V and the ground is good then i would say u have a bad starter. some people have luck tapping it with a hammer while trying to crank

CCRM has no part in cranking.

I agree that it still sounds like a primary cable issue, especially since the car hs been sitting. I do kinda like Urban with a jumper cable - I run one in parallel with each power cable and ground (one at a time) till the car magically cranks. When it does, that cable being paralleled is deficient.

You might want to add a spare motor ground while you're at it. I used a 4 AWG starter cable from the parts store (5 bucks) and ran it from the motor to passenger frame rail (to mimic the ground on the driver's side).

Good luck Duncan.

It's definitely a bad connection somewhere. I don't know where, though. I was pressed for time today, so I didn't get a chance to do a lot of troubleshooting.

I boosted from my GFs car, to mine, without hers on. Nadda. I then took off the jumpers and moved the car (someone needed to park). Set them back up again, and this time turned her car on. The stang fired up right away.

I let it idle for about 10 minutes...temp gauge sat still.

Shut it down, and took off the cables. I had ran out of time at this point, and I went to press the power lock button. Interior light dimmed and flickered, and then the power went out.

So there's clearly a connection issue somewhere. It seems intermittent.

What I've written above would rule out the starter as an issue, correct? It obviously works, but is there a chance that there's a bad connection on it?

Where else should I look, or what steps should I take from here. I can't do anything on it that would involve getting it on jack stands until I can drive it out to my parents place.

Lastly, is there any chance that this bad connection was what caused my car to overheat?

hmm, i'm thinking the only thing electrical that would've caused overheating is your fan not coming on. otherwise, my guess would gravitate towards a mechanical issue (clogged radiator, stuck thermostat, etc).

good luck, d00d.