So close...

Vortech88GT

New Member
Mar 17, 2006
1
0
1
Seattle
I cant believe it... I'm trying to crack the 12s with the combo in my sig (stock motor, 5-6psi, FMU, 10* base timing spout in) before I start trying to maximize my combo and start adding the parts I've been accumulating. Last night at the Pacific Raceways TNT out of 4 runs I had three 13.0X runs...

I'm running MT 235/15 DRs with smokey 2nd gear burnouts. I have been messing around with tire pressure and launch RPMs. Last night I was trying between 16 and 18 psi.

First run I blew the tires away on a 3500RPM launch to the tune of a 2.3 60'. I have never had them go up in smoke that bad before which really screwed me up for the rest of the night...

Second run I was trying not to waste another run going up is smoke again(especially after waiting over an hour for "the sun to go behind the trees") so I dropped my RPM to about 3250. This time I bogged bad and pulled a 1.960 60' for a 13.02 ET at 107.5mph.

Third run I upped the RPM to about 3500 again (should have gone higher but I didn't want to waste a run) and bogged even worse to a 1.964 60' for a 13.03 ET at 107.9mph.

Last run I decided to try a 4000 RPM launch and slip the clutch a little more than I had been. Bogged the worst yet to a 1.969 60' for a 13.09 ET at 107.3mph. I blew off a vacuum line somewhere at some point on that run and it was already dark so I couldn't find it. So that became my last run.

Man.. I was so close. Last time out I pulled a 1.8 60' (weather was worse though so my trap was down and ran a 13.06). If I could have hit one of those last night I would have been all over the 12s but that first damn run screwed me up.

Didn't make my goal but at least I was consistant (even though I really didn't want it to be)... three back to back 1.96 60' runs all with 13.0X ETs and 107.X mph.
 
5 speed ~ 3.73 ~ " C " Springs Those are not the best setup for drag racing,but we have to work will what we get. How about removed/disconnect the front sway bar ? You could tried some taller tires to soften that launch. If you could borrow a set of 275 DR that will give you some more options .
 
They came out with the 27" 255/15s the week after I got the 235s. Those would have been perfect. Oh well, I have these ones now so I guess I will stick with them... I haven't tried disconnecting the sway bar yet. Does that make a big difference? My plan has been to see how fast I can get the car with the super conservative vortech tune in full street trim. Once I get to a point where I don't think I can get much faster I plan on putting in injectors & PMS and removing a bunch of weight, maybe getting some skinnies, etc. to see what it can really do... Then it's time for the pullies:cheers:
 
Vortech88GT said:
They came out with the 27" 255/15s the week after I got the 235s. Those would have been perfect. Oh well, I have these ones now so I guess I will stick with them... I haven't tried disconnecting the sway bar yet. Does that make a big difference? My plan has been to see how fast I can get the car with the super conservative vortech tune in full street trim. Once I get to a point where I don't think I can get much faster I plan on putting in injectors & PMS and removing a bunch of weight, maybe getting some skinnies, etc. to see what it can really do... Then it's time for the pullies:cheers:


Good job!! I've had good luck with the 235's, but that is our class tire. you got way more power than mine though, mine is all 60ft!!

Nate

p.s. try 13-14psi in the tires for best results.
 
The sway bar weighs about 20lbs, but if you want to leave it in just disconnecting one end will let the front end come up a lot better and get the weight over the rear wheels. Possibly some adjustable struts (strange would be my brand of choice), again to get the front end up and the weight back over the tires.

I don't think you want a taller tire, or less gear, with limited power like you've got you will want basically as much gear as you can get. You should be able to get into the 1.6 or 1.7 60' range with those tires once you get the car working correctly.
 
Stangler - How are you launching on these tires? You must have cut some serious 60' times to get into the 12s at 101mph :eek:

Also, I do have adjustable struts (Koni reds) that I loosen up at the track to try and get a little more weight transfer.
 
I know he was in the 1.6's but not sure exactly where. His suspension is all stock too, just worn out stock shocks and a C-4 with a 3000rpm stall and 3.73 gears. Stock motor from intake to oil pan, shortie headers, gutted stock H-pipe and 2.5" bullet mufflers with dumps.

It was really light at the time but the suspension just flat out worked for some reason.

The Koni's I thought were more of a street/road race style strut, compared to the Strange units that are geared toward drag racing.
 
WaterPog said:
I know he was in the 1.6's but not sure exactly where. His suspension is all stock too, just worn out stock shocks and a C-4 with a 3000rpm stall and 3.73 gears. Stock motor from intake to oil pan, shortie headers, gutted stock H-pipe and 2.5" bullet mufflers with dumps.

It was really light at the time but the suspension just flat out worked for some reason.


yep!:nice: 2900-2950w/me in it.