So how hard is it really, to change the rear end gear?

• Sponsors (?)

as long as you understand the job is pretty easy.

here are you specs

pinion rotating force 15inlbs old bearing 25inlbs new bearing

ring gear bolts 65lbs (rember to loctite them)

main cab bolts 85lbs

back lash .008-.012

carirer preload .005-.007 to each side

you need to know the correct wear patter.

now for the issues some will have.

1. tools you must have a torque wrench, inch pound torque wrench, dial indicator, an a puller for the pinion flange is nice, you need get the pinion bearing off as well, calipers are nice for the shims as well to figure you preload in. a nice telescoping magnet for the c clamps are nice as well to put them back in. the abs sensors are an inverted torx that I did not have.

2. parts you need shims, crush sleave, greas to check the wear patern, locktight, silicone for the inspection cover.

as long as you have the right tools and know the job you can do it in about 3-4hrs. the pinion bearing is a bit of a pain and so was the crush sleave on mine. it took a ton of force to stug the pinion flange up to the crush sleave for some reason.

my .02 is buy the tools and do it yourslef. that is what I always do. the job costs more than the tools usually and then next time you have them.

QDRHRSE said:
If you don't know how to do it- don't bother. There's a science to it and even guys that do it for a living don't always do it right. The labor is usually less than $200.

there is not much science at all. it is very mathmatical. you backlash, rotating force, and wear pattern are all know items. it does require patience though. you have to do it till it is correct period.

on mine the stock pinion shim worked and it took two times in with the carrier for the backlash. then you have to come out once more to add the .005-007 preload and put it back in. this setup was not very hard. the hardest part of this for me was the crush sleave. for some reason it took alot of torque to snug the pinion flange up. I took it back off twice thinking it was binding up.

if you can find someone for 200 that not too bad. the local guy told me 4-5 hrs at $70hr. that was too much for my blood.