So I guess this means time for a heater core.

Is this drain hole on the firewall passenger side a drain for the heater box? You can see some coolant water in the hole and there's a trail under the car.
PXL_20231108_144417788.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for that confirmation. It hasn't leaked on the floor at least. I think I'm going to by-pass it for now while I try to decide if I want to do gauges in the radio slot and a cupholder console, be a good time to do it all at once. I'm in Floriduh and it's not hardly necessary and not my daily anyway so no need to rush.

Reactions: 1 user
I never use the heater & rarely the A/C because it only gets used in the FL late fall, winter & early spring.
If you're going to remove the dashboard, might as well replace the A/C condenser, too.
It may not be hard to do, but all the old plastic will break.

IMG_4722.jpeg

I just had this condensation pop up the other day and I thought I smelled antifreeze, too. Sucks. Since all the NOS OEM Ford heater cores are unobtanium priced, what’s the go-to name brand for replacement?

. Since all the NOS OEM Ford heater cores are unobtanium priced, what’s the go-to name brand for replacement?

The fox market is just not that big to justify multiple manufacturers for some of these products having to compete with each other. For a lot of these parts, there's only one person making them. Different 3rd part shops buy them and repackage them under their own brand

I don't know for sure, but I suspect this is the case for the cores. Before i snagged a NOS core, i ordered 3-4 to compare and they all looked identical with the same stamps and such.

The fox market is just not that big to justify multiple manufacturers for some of these products having to compete with each other. For a lot of these parts, there's only one person making them. Different 3rd part shops buy them and repackage them under their own brand

I don't know for sure, but I suspect this is the case for the cores. Before i snagged a NOS core, i ordered 3-4 to compare and they all looked identical with the same stamps and such.
That’s what I was afraid of. I suppose I’ll buy whatever brand looks the best in the moment and pressure test it before everything gets buttoned up. Maybe throw some extra solder on any potential weak spots. Make sure the old sealer is cleaned out real well and generous amounts of RTV to allow some flexibility? Any other thoughts?

The original heater core let go on my 89 GT last fall. I spent a couple weeks hunting for a brass replacement or someone to recore my original one at a fair price. Unfortunately, at that time, I could not source a brass one and the only rad shop in town that repairs radiators wanted a little over $600 to recore my original one. I could not justify that. I bought the best one Napa had with a lifetime warranty. It is aluminum unfortunately, but it was only $60. I think the 87-93 cars are easier to do than the 4 eyes so I am not worried if I have to change it sooner than later. I did source another brass one earlier this summer for the next time.

You don’t even need to pull the full dash.

Pull the console

Pull the column down . Unbolt one dash and then the dashboard pulls off the fire wall by the pass side . Doesn’t need to come out . I had the heater box out to do the evap , even that don’t have to come all the way out .
IMG_5931.jpeg
IMG_5932.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
You don’t even need to pull the full dash.

Pull the console

Pull the column down . Unbolt one dash and then the dashboard pulls off the fire wall by the pass side . Doesn’t need to come out . I had the heater box out to do the evap , even that don’t have to come all the way out .
IMG_5931.jpeg
IMG_5932.jpeg
That's pretty much how I did mine...

• Loved It!