Some fluid changing help for newbie?

Impulse101

May 30, 2009
Hey guys, just joined, first post, the usual.

Anyway, I just "inherited" a 1986 GT from my step-dad. It's been sitting for three years and wouldn't start. Turns out it was starved for fuel. I changed the fuel pump and filter and now it runs just great.

However, I wanna do some fluid changes before I start putting the miles on it this summer. He lost the owners manual some time ago so I don't know anything except it has a V-8 with 200hp and a 4 speed automatic.

So I was wondering if any of you could tell me what kind of oil this beast takes, and what kind of trans fluid to put in it.

The help would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to enjoy my first summer of driving!

• Sponsors (?)

I use a 10w-30 in my 88 and my 93. The Chilton's manual calls for Dexron II for autos up until 86 but I believe that it has been combined with Mercon so I would get some Dexron/Mercon trans fluid. That is what I use in my 93 AOD.

I have found incorrect info in the aftermarket repair manuals (fluid types, weights, etc) so be careful and double check if something doesnt seem correct.

10w30 conventional oil. Don't use synthetics.

Ford Mercon ATF conventional

80w90 conventional gear lube and one 4oz. bottle of friction modifier for the rear axle.

Green antifreeze for the radiator. I'd do a T-stat and ALL the hoses while you're there. I also recommend a new water pump. For 25-40 dollars you can buy a NEW (not remanufactured) water pump. Every 5.0L fox I have had got a new waterpump before I put them on the road. They all ran very cool as well. I've never had an overheating problem.

Buy all Motorcraft ignition parts. Plugs, wires, cap/rotor. Gap them at .048-.052.

Buy a Motorcraft fuel filter. Stay away from China and FRAM fuel filters.

Pick up a new PCV valve also.

This advice I gave you is what I have used on all of my 5.0L Mustangs. Each and every single one of them has always run like a top. They have never broke down and never ever threw CE lights.