SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! MISS PROBLEM!

the last week or so, my car has been giving me this annoying ass miss and ive tried EVERYTHING to try and figure out whats causing it....i recently installed new plugs, cap and rotor, checked every plug wire for spark, tried a friends brand new coil, got the ignition module checked at autozone, changed the fuel filter, re-checked the filter for sludge 2 days later to find none, checked pcv valve, checked IAC, checked all vacuum lines for leaks, borrowed my buddies fuel pressure gauge that mounts to the rail and pressure was fine...i have literally checked EVERYTHING and this is my DD so i need it fixed...i also spen $100 ****in bucks on damn o2 sensors that my friend was almost sure could be the problem, and it wasn't....i brought it to a shop where im friends with the owner and he tokk it for a ride and said it was fuel or spark problems and he thought it was the coil or ignition module which it wasnt...

this miss occurs only after the car is warmed up...for instance, i got up this morn, drove my mom to work, car ran fine...helped my buddy install an exhaust on his srt-4, while also trying to find my problem, and since the car was warmed up, it started to happen....then later this afternoon i had a knee doctor appt, so the car sat and cooled off for 3 hrs so so...when i got back i took it out and it ran fine....i got it up to 210 where it normally runs and it ran great...i even stopped and shut it down for like 2 min, and then started it up and went again, and it ran fine....then i came inside for 20 min or so, went back out, and the car ran like ****...I DONT GET IT!!!! i have a video of the problem that we took today and its uploaded, but my buddy isnt home now to send me the link....ill post up as soon as i can......PLEASE HELO ME CAUSE ITS PISSING ME OFF!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

heres the vid-

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0F72KXCIV4NOG1J4R8LX5770FH

• Sponsors (?)

I think I posted thoughts on this on your other thread. YOu really mowed down a lot of things I would have checked myself.

I wonder if it is a resistance issue - a marginal wire or circuit is heating up and becoming too resistive. Does it miss constantly when it does miss, or is the miss only under load, etc?

Jrichker or the other smart peeps in here will have ideas.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I think I posted thoughts on this on your other thread. YOu really mowed down a lot of things I would have checked myself.

I wonder if it is a resistance issue - a marginal wire or circuit is heating up and becoming too resistive. Does it miss constantly when it does miss, or is the miss only under load, etc?

Jrichker or the other smart peeps in here will have ideas.

Good luck.
thanks...it happens at really anything over 1300 RPMS whether it be at a stand still holding the gas at a certain rpm, or under load....when it misses, its consistant in the fact that it will continually miss until i shut off the car cause im pissed, but it wont happen at a certain rpm every time...its very sporadic:shrug:

Hey, I thought you changed them, but I am not reading stuff too well right now. Did you actually swap plug wires? In my experience, a wire can look ok and even ohm out alright when cold, but when the wire gets hot, it starts leaking spark (which can be a leak to ground, etc).

If you have known good spare wires, I would swap them on.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Hey, I thought you changed them, but I am not reading stuff too well right now. Did you actually swap plug wires? In my experience, a wire can look ok and even ohm out alright when cold, but when the wire gets hot, it starts leaking spark (which can be a leak to ground, etc).

If you have known good spare wires, I would swap them on.

Good luck.
no these are the wires that were on the car when i bought it...they are moroso 8.5mm wires....im gonna try my buddies on tomorro and see if that does anything..

jadedinpa said:
only thing left is fuel injectors from the sound of it. my buddy had a miss in his motor that turned out to be a fuel injector, but i'm pretty sure his was all the time.
yea thats my porject for tomorro....do you think some injector cleaner would help?? i cant just spend $$$ on inj and have it not be the prob...and i cant really tell if they are clogged if i take them out...can i?

No sure things, but can you find the cylinder?
Can you do an EEC4 cylinder balance test to find it?

I had this on a 96 Explorer, the EEC5 even said cyl 3. The plug looked fine, the wire ohmed good, and the coil pack ohmed out good. Changed the plug wire and fixed it, after a month of pain.

Any vacuum leaks when it warms up.

Last thing, the TFI module.

rd said:
No sure things, but can you find the cylinder?
Can you do an EEC4 cylinder balance test to find it?

I had this on a 96 Explorer, the EEC5 even said cyl 3. The plug looked fine, the wire ohmed good, and the coil pack ohmed out good. Changed the plug wire and fixed it, after a month of pain.

Any vacuum leaks when it warms up.

Last thing, the TFI module.
i'll see if i can borrow my buddies code reader tomorrow and figure this out....also, the TFI module is the silver heat-sinked hox on the passenger inner fender? if not can you set me straight:D

I say the tfi module, im not familiar of whats on a 95. After i did my lifters i had a bad miss, i changed the plugs wires etc. and nothing. I went to the computer and found the #8 injector wasnt getting power and found the wire got cut during assembly. This was a constant miss though and not intermittant so i doubt this is ur problem. Open ur hood at night and look for any sparks. But it sounds like a tfi module to me.

87stangdiddle said:
I say the tfi module, im not familiar of whats on a 95. After i did my lifters i had a bad miss, i changed the plugs wires etc. and nothing. I went to the computer and found the #8 injector wasnt getting power and found the wire got cut during assembly. This was a constant miss though and not intermittant so i doubt this is ur problem. Open ur hood at night and look for any sparks. But it sounds like a tfi module to me.
not the TFI module...got it tested....its very intermittent...i think its a broken plug wire or plug...

Keep in mine that an engine needs these things to fire:

Fuel
Air
Spark
Compression

Sorry for the basics, but that is where we need to start. One thing I would do is to pinpoint exactly which cylinder(s) is missing. Get it to miss and when it starts just shut the motor down. Pull the plug where it is missing, is it wet or dry? If the plug is dry then you can bet it is fuel related, if it is wet, then it is something else. When it begins to miss see if that spark pulg is firing, if it isn't, then suspect the pickup or module, however I doubt this will be it. If you are getting spark, and the plug is wet, the problem is elsewhere. This leads us to compression. One thing the alerts me is that you said it only does this when the engine heats up. That is a classic sighn of a cracked head/block and even a leaking head gasket. Check for hydrocarbons in the radiator. Doing a compression test and even a leakdown test might help from that point forward. You should have done the troubleshooting process before throwing parts at the car, now this repair is going to cost you much more than before. This also makes it harder to figure out.

SN95 TFI's are remote located and not quite the issue that fox TFI's are.

The CBT is a good idea. I think I mentioned to do it on your 'lurching' thread. But it will only help if you run the test while the car is acting up.

Good luck bud.

HISSIN50 said:
SN95 TFI's are remote located and not quite the issue that fox TFI's are.

The CBT is a good idea. I think I mentioned to do it on your 'lurching' thread. But it will only help if you run the test while the car is acting up.

Good luck bud.
thanks man....

90mustanggt- im sry if i sound like a dick at all cause i dont mean it in that way at all, but i think you are suspectiong the problem to be WAY worse than it is....its just annoying the crap outta me cause i wanna order my suspension, but the pops wont lemme til i fix this ****, and its pissin me off....with that being said, my dad things its a very minor thing such as a broken plug wire or plug because it started happening like a week after i did a tune-up...i know for sure that its not a specific cylinder missing because its not consistant...its definately an electrical problem...today when it was running good, i ripped on it and it felt even better than before, maybe because the 02 sensors were SHOT.....i DEFINATELY appreciate the input though and ill check everything before i spend any money...maybe i was clear in the first post, but i changed the plugs, cap, and rotor anyway a month ago to tune up the car, and the only moeny i spent towards this was $8 for a fuel filter, and $100 for the 02's which i probably needed anyway...the stock ones were still in there:rolleyes: thanks for the help dude:flag:

I know, I wasn't saying that was the problem, dianostics over the net is near impossible, that was more of a checklist, starting simple, going deep. That is what I do at work. Yes, it could be a cracked block, but chances are that it isn't. Intermittent problems are a bitch, they never do it when you want them to. I would bet on it being something simple. Speaking of somethign simple, try cleaning the MAF with either brake cleaner or electronics cleaner. A little dirt on that wire and it causes all kinds of runnign problems. Have you checked for codes, that would be the first thing Jrichker would ask, and he's right.

90mustangGT said:
I know, I wasn't saying that was the problem, dianostics over the net is near impossible, that was more of a checklist, starting simple, going deep. That is what I do at work. Yes, it could be a cracked block, but chances are that it isn't. Intermittent problems are a bitch, they never do it when you want them to. I would bet on it being something simple. Speaking of somethign simple, try cleaning the MAF with either brake cleaner or electronics cleaner. A little dirt on that wire and it causes all kinds of runnign problems. Have you checked for codes, that would be the first thing Jrichker would ask, and he's right.
i have not, but ima see if i can borrow a code reader tomorrow from my buddy and try to sort this out....again, i really appreciate the help, im just frustrated:nonono:

Just for a FYI...Im not sure on the 95 models but on the foxes we can connect 2 wires and read the codes through flashes of the CEL (check engine light), im pretty sure u still can but ive never worked on one or anything, just something if u couldnt get ur hands on a code reader. I would also suggest cleaning the maf like 90mustang said