Something curious that happened tonight

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
As I was driving home which was about 2 hours away I had to get on the brakes pretty good. They didn't lock up at all but it was harder than the normal braking. As I was on it the parking brake light came on. Anyone ever heard of this or know what it could be? It just started this tonight. Something with the E-brake cable maybe?

• Sponsors (?)

This could be something as simple as the brake fluid sloshing around inside the master cylinder. Consider that even if full, the brake fluid will slosh forward during heavy breaking. This may cause the float switch to fall enough to trigger the dash warning light. I have had it happen to me.

Yep the fluid is low, my car is actually at a shop right now and it was planned, I was driving back home for the 2 hours to take it in so I had them check even though that is easy. Next upgrade will be brakes around christmas time so I will go with fluid for now and then replace pads, rotors and cobra calipers. I think I will also flush the fluids then as well to not worry about it again for a while. Thanks guys for letting me know its nothing major.

Since you are adding fluid now, be aware that when you install new pads you will have to make sure to evacuate fluid from the master before you compress the caliper pistons. When I was in auto tech school before getting my ASE cert in brakes they repeated over and over to NEVER add brake fluid on a vehicle with disc brakes. When you do replace pads go ahead and completely flush and bleed the system, but do not top off.