Something that has been driving me crazy!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

Ok so a few years ago, Dodge decided to begin marketing "the return of the hemi". Hemi, of course, refers to the inception of the hemispherical heads way back in the day.

But.....DON'T ALL CARS NOWADAYS (or most) HAVE HEMISPHERICAL HEADS?

When I hear an idiot brag about how he's got a hemi, I want to reply with, "OMG SO DO I!"

Am I going crazy or what?!

• Sponsors (?)

You may also want to let those people know that Ford created the first "Hemi" engine.

Edit: Also let them know that Ford got the motor banned from Nascar racing due to the extremely high levels of power it was making compared to other motors being used at the time.

Ok so a few years ago, Dodge decided to begin marketing "the return of the hemi". Hemi, of course, refers to the inception of the hemispherical heads way back in the day.

When I hear an idiot brag about how he's got a hemi, I want to reply with, "OMG SO DO I!"

Marketing tool to sell cars. Your absolutely right. Pearl02.

Not all cars are "Hemi"..... and ford didnt invent the "Hemi", as the Nascar Engines from the 60's were called "Crescent' Heads by ford.

What makes the Hemi unique is that the car is OHV with only 2 valves per cylinder and its still hemispherical. its easy to make a Hemi OHC motor, but not a Hemi OHV motor.

Not all cars are "Hemi"..... and ford didnt invent the "Hemi", as the Nascar Engines from the 60's were called "Crescent' Heads by ford.

What makes the Hemi unique is that the car is OHV with only 2 valves per cylinder and its still hemispherical. its easy to make a Hemi OHC motor, but not a Hemi OHV motor.

"Ford produced an engine with two overhead cams (one cam per head) and hemispherical chambers in the mid-1960s. The engine, displacing 425 cu in (6,965 cc) and belonging to the FE family of Ford engines, was known as the "427 SOHC"; it was also known as the Cammer. It was basically a set of SOHC hemi heads that bolted onto Ford's FE engine block. The 1964 engine was designed in 90 days of intensive engineering effort[8] for use in racing. The 427 SOHC used the side oiler engine block modified slightly to deal with the missing in-block cam among other OHC issues.[8] Because of their power levels it was banned from NASCAR races, though allowed in certain drag racing classes. After the NASCAR ban, Ford continued to produce the 427 SOHC for several years and sold it over the counter to racers and others.[9] Dynamometer results of the day showed the SOHC Hemi producing almost 700 hp (522 kW) in crate form (100 hp per liter).[10] The overhead cams meant that it was not as rpm-limited as the Chrysler Hemis were with their pushrods and heavy and complex valvetrains."

"Ardun heads for the Ford Flathead were perhaps the first use of a hemispherical head on a readily available American V8."

the hemi was invented as follows:

Chrysler gets the credit for the Hemi, but its origin is traced to the Chelsea Manufacturing Company, Chelsea, Michigan, which produced the Welch horseless carriage. The 1903 Welch was the first to use a hemispherical combustion chamber design in its 20-horsepower two-cylinder engine. Duesenberg and Stutz later used the Hemi as a performance engine.

Chrysler didn't pause for World War II while its factories geared up for military production. During its testing of tank engines, engineers began using one-cylinder test engines to design Hemi heads and combustion chambers. Most of the engines failed due to carbon buildup on the values and premature camshaft wear. After the war, Chrysler kicked the project into overdrive once Chrysler chief K.T. Keller authorized building for production. In 1948, the 331-cubic-inch V-8, which promised 100,000 miles without replacing any primary parts, was produced.

the original street hemi was in the 50's from dodge. true hemi head. low detonation resistance. flame has a long way to travel.

big domed pistons on the later B/RB HEMI bigblock's left a lot of unburned fuel in the exhaust.

the current motors are semi-hemi. twho quench pads in each chamber. ford made one experimental pushrod FE block 427 hemi for A/FX racing. it ran 10's and was abandoned. The boss 429 was a semi hemi also.

a 427sohc is the closest to a hemi ford made.

No most do not have hemi chambers.

a 4.6 2v has inline valves and closed combustion chambers.

most pushrod motors today also are inline.

chevrolet considers their combustion chambers to be pent-roof even though they have 2 valves. most prent roof chambers have 3 4 or 5 valves. they are not hemisherical shaped. they are flat.

I love my hemi ram. 392hp/408ftlbs and 20mpg! Ford could only dream of getting close to an engine that good up until now with the 5.0. MDS is kind of an annoying feature sometimes but really does help with mpg in the city.

the new ones are garbage, it dont matter what they make..

What's your gripe with them? They're proven, reliable, get great mileage and make more power than the originals did with even less displacement. Not thrilled that Dodge has chosen to stuff them into anything with a Ram head on it, but the engines themselves are "Grade A". :shrug:
I love my hemi ram. 392hp/408ftlbs and 20mpg! Ford could only dream of getting close to an engine that good up until now with the 5.0. MDS is kind of an annoying feature sometimes but really does help with mpg in the city.

You need to do a little more reading. The new Ford 6.2L (found in the new Super Duty and Raptor trucks) is the most powerful gas engine ever put into a pickup and is said to get 30% better fuel economy than the outgoing 5.4L 3V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc0wLNN1hG0&feature=fvw

I'm talking about f150s and 1500 series trucks not superdutys. Any f150 2010 and older had the 5.4 which was weak in comparison to the hemi from dodge. The SVT raptor doesn't count because its a specialty vehicle.

What's your gripe with them? They're proven, reliable, get great mileage and make more power than the originals did with even less displacement. Not thrilled that Dodge has chosen to stuff them into anything with a Ram head on it, but the engines themselves are "Grade A". :shrug:

You need to do a little more reading. The new Ford 6.2L (found in the new Super Duty and Raptor trucks) is the most powerful gas engine ever put into a pickup and is said to get 30% better fuel economy than the outgoing 5.4L 3V

YouTube - Raptor 6.2 Dyno & 0-60 Testing by Hennessey Performance

im not talking about MPG, my mustang gets north of 25mpg sometimes, id like to see a challenger get the same.. im saying, they only make 425hp out of a 6.1L and the cars are heavy as lead, not impressed at all..

I'm talking about f150s and 1500 series trucks not superdutys. Any f150 2010 and older had the 5.4 which was weak in comparison to the hemi from dodge. The SVT raptor doesn't count because its a specialty vehicle.

the 6.2 will be in everything, just wait.. the heads have already put up 375cfm ratings, just wait..

and it looks to have the same mounts as a 4.6, if so i shall be doing a swap in the future..

Gotcha....so it only counts when we're talking about the F150's and 1500's. We have to just disregard all of the guys buying the 250/350/450 Raptors and 2500-series trucks out there because they "don't count" because they don't fit the parameters of your arguement. Your statement was, that "Ford could only dream of getting close to an engine that good ". The fact that they have, kinda takes the wind out of the sales of your blanketed statement, don't you think? ;)

And you do realize that boasted power figures asside, that the 5.4L Ford has a higher rated towing capacity than the more powerful Dodge does, right?
im not talking about MPG, my mustang gets north of 25mpg sometimes, id like to see a challenger get the same.. im saying, they only make 425hp out of a 6.1L and the cars are heavy as lead, not impressed at all..

The get mediocre mileage because the car's weigh 4,200lbs+, not because they're a poor engine. Tack on the additional 900lbs difference to your Mustang and come back at me again with what kind of mileage you're getting. ;)

I'm not saying the Challenger is a modern marvel....but it's a long, long, long way from garbage.

As far as the 6.2L goes, you're right that Ford has plans to introduce them in the F150's in the next few years. That's right from the horses mouth.