Fox Something Weird Happened Today...related To My Dynotune?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
This is going to be a little long but want to give all the info....current setup is basically

TFS 11r heads (190 58cc)
R intake
60lbers
Ultra gold 1.6 rockers
Ba2400
Upr boostpipe
Strim (high output...stock pulley)

Crane hi 6
Crane coil
Ngk plugs (3/4" reach per TFS rec and 1 step colder than stock)
Msd 8mm plugs

Blew a headgasket on my old setup 2yrs ago...stock heads and gt40 tubular intake...took me until this past winter to get it back together with the current setup.

Took it to a dynotune to have it dialed in...i have a 4 bank SCT chip...i believe he wrote code with moates quarterhorse...

Well he starts getting cold starts amd idle dialed in etc...it went quicker than usual he says and starts pulling power out of it...starts a lower rpm pull...makes adjustments...more rpm...more adjustments etc....gets to the 4th pull or so and tragedy strikes....my waterpump gasket blows.... (i didnt realize the gasket was most likely compromised when i blew the headgasket since i overpressurized the cooling system)...trailered it home...got my new gasket on and drove it around for a few weeks before taking it back to make sure i had no more leaks etc...3 weeks later (aug 28rd) i drove it back (no trailer available this time)...then i find out he didnt know i was coming back in that day his receptionist never mentioned to him and it was his first day back after a week vacation and he was on his own at the shop this week (so seemed a little rushed but still personable etc)

Straps it in...asks abt how it was running and i said man it was running great...good on cold and warm starts...crisp throttle response etc...he said ok great ill just work on pulling more power...

Adds some timing (went to 17* i think)pulls 491rwhp @5600rpm i think...ups to 18* pulls 514rwhp...he says wow if the block would hold this setup could pull 600rwhp bc i still have 3 more degrees i could throw at it but he doesnt like to tune a stock block over 500rwhp at most... (he does alot of ford tuning from what i heard and read abt him etc)

He makes a final pull after dropping the timing back down and the boost falls right off...he said the supercharger was "heat soaked" from all the pulls? And that it would take awhile to cool off so he locked it in at the last good tune at 17* which was 491rwhp...this is my first build and first time on a dyno but i didnt like that the car wasnt re-pulled after that...is heatsoaking normal?

He says he threw in some safety precautions such as made the tune a little rich...pulled timing when intake temps get over a certain setpoint etc...said if it was a race car he would risk it more but wants to keep it together as long as possible (as do i lol)....

I take it and start driving home and already notice it isnt nearly as responsive nor crisp as it was before this second tune...felt too rich...drive it home...not overly impressed (tune was $650 btw)

Fast foward to last couple weeks..usually when i back out and pull into the garage i go nice and slow and ease out the clutch and let it pull me in or out respectively...now it just about stalls or stalls...

Tonight i go to take my wife for a cruise and let it warm up in the garage a few minutes...back it out...and i hear what sounded like a small buzz or click from either my ignition box (crane hi 6 mounted on pside tunnel) or my ecu...shut it off and restart it(no more noise)..car just turns over...try again and give it gas...it struggles to start but starts...idles down and stays running...blip the throttle...sounded clean and crisp no hesitation...

Shut it off and start it again..cranks fires up and on its way down to idle rpm range shuts right off or has a few struggles to stay alive and then shuts off...again with throttle it will get started then stay running...my thoughts are its too rich and my plugs are carboned up? Or my box is going bad?

All my gauges look good...fuel pressure...oil press...vac...etc..

Sorry for the long story...i appreciate your thoughts...

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

My guess is that the chip needs to be pulled, the contacts cleaned then lubricated then reinstalled.

I like Deoxit stuff.
+1 on this. It's a good place to start and won't hurt anything. Just to be safe call the tuner and make sure he has your tune saved in case the chip deletes it somehow.
Pull your plugs and read them. Won't take more than a minute and it'll help diagnose to a degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input...so i got home...crane box is gonna be a little.work to bypass bc of how i have it wired and where it is mounted in relation to the coil (factory coil wires wont reach) so thats on hold until i have more time...

Have a call to the tuner...no word yet so probably wont hear from him until monday

Ran codes

Koeo 11 11
Koer 21 (wasnt to temp)
Cyl balance test....i got 6-1 both times...always had 90 in the past

Tried to run it again and had to blip the throttle the whole time to keep it running it started throwing some codes but idk if its accurate due to me having to keep hitting the throttle

Something i did notice however is in all my previous times running codes whenevwr my sct chip was installed i would get a code 15 (koeo)...when i would unhook it and rum codes (koeo) i would get 11...now with it installed im only getting 11...so perhaps it is dirty, bad, or not making good contact? Essentially making the car run on stock tune and causing the issues?

If so what could cause the chip to lose tune/go bad if thats the case?

Thanks for all the input...so i got home...crane box is gonna be a little.work to bypass bc of how i have it wired and where it is mounted in relation to the coil (factory coil wires wont reach) so thats on hold until i have more time...

Have a call to the tuner...no word yet so probably wont hear from him until monday

Ran codes

Koeo 11 11
Koer 21 (wasnt to temp)
Cyl balance test....i got 6-1 both times...always had 90 in the past

Tried to run it again and had to blip the throttle the whole time to keep it running it started throwing some codes but idk if its accurate due to me having to keep hitting the throttle

Something i did notice however is in all my previous times running codes whenevwr my sct chip was installed i would get a code 15 (koeo)...when i would unhook it and rum codes (koeo) i would get 11...now with it installed im only getting 11...so perhaps it is dirty, bad, or not making good contact? Essentially making the car run on stock tune and causing the issues?

If so what could cause the chip to lose tune/go bad if thats the case?

Those have a small battery (coin type) that can loose it's charge.

It's really easy to just not have the contacts not cleaned all the way. If you only get some of it off and not all of it, it'll work for a while then stop working at some point. It really isn't hard to pull out and clean. From what you describe it sure sounds like the place I would start and it won't take more than 20-30 minutes of your time

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so i pulled the chip and ran the codes...all good except for smog related stuff...installed chip but pulled the selector switch off (heard of ppl having problems and my tune is set for space 0 which its supposed to use if the selector is diaconnected) re ran codes

Koeo 11, 11
Koer 21
Cyl balance test i ran three times

Test 1....90
Test 2....90
Test 3...40 and 20?

Have it cooling down and letting the fumes out of the garage and im going to run koeo again.

My chip is working at least enough that it clears the codes for smog deleted stuff...

Thoughts?

So talked to the tuner...he said most likely the issue is because when we tuned it the ambient temperature was around 75-85 degrees and since we are now seeing 50s to low 60s...its most likely causing the warm start issue (fires right up on cold start)

Told me to warm it up and shut it off...try giving half throttle and starting...if it fires right up i can do that when the ambient temp is cooler....or bring it back to him and he will tweak the tune a little more but if he tweaks it too much for the colder weather, we may have to revisit it next summer when temps increase again.

He also said the koeo/koer tests revert to the stock tune as far as idle and a/f etc and may not show correctly since it bypasses the tune which i think makes sense...