Soo many to chose from...

CobraXtreme

Jun 4, 2004
There are so many CAI Kits to choose from on the partshopper website! I hear that the JLT one piece plastic piping kit is supposedly the best, what do you think? What is the most horsepower for my money kit...

• Sponsors (?)

CobraXtreme said:
There are so many CAI Kits to choose from on the partshopper website! I hear that the JLT one piece plastic piping kit is supposedly the best, what do you think? What is the most horsepower for my money kit...

There are Pro's & Con's to the different CAI's and you need to take these into consideration before making your decision. Purchasing a CAI based solely on it's potential HP increase is not always the most wise decision. The JLT "unofficially" appears to provide the highest gains from what I've read though. I've also read it's one of the more difficult CAI's to install and service. None of the reputable tuners or magazines have done a controlled test of this particular CAI yet, so we can only go by the dyno data collected under less-than controlled environments by end users. So take that under consideration when you see someone claim 30+ RWHP from the JLT CAI. Was that on a completely stock car? Was that the AVERAGE HP gain over 3 runs, or was it just the "best" run of the day? A CAI may produce better numbers on a modified car compared to a stock one. The Densecharger is similar to the JLT in that it is an "In fender" CAI. I received great gains from both of the Densechargers I used (1st & 2nd Gen). The problem with the Dencecharger, the JLT, and the UPR CAI is that all of them are in-fender units which make it difficult to check or service the filter. You have to take the CAI apart to inspect the filter or to see if it has possibly fallen off inside the fender area...

There are at least a half-dozen, if not more CAI's available for the 03/04 Cobra's that are NOT in the fender style. They are open element style and still provide excellent gains. The K&N FIPK which many of us use today, was recently tested by MM&FF magazine and it made a solid 25RWHP on a BONE STOCK Cobra. Besides the K&N FIPK CAI there are units made by Steeda, Johnny Lightning, Apten, Anderson Motorsports, SLP, Amazon Racing, etc.

Also keep in mind that once your car is MOVING along at highway speeds there is NO PROVEN PERFORMANCE GAIN between an "in fender" CAI and an open element under hood CAI. Only when sitting still does an in fender CAI provide cooler air. Once you're moving the in fender CAI's don't provide any cooler air than the standard CAI's.

U.M.

I just bought a Densencharger see the other SVT sight for my post. I like the way it looks so far but don't have access the right wrench right now so my install for delayed. I hope to have it done soon. Looks like high quality. I did get my set screws in place on the tube but that was it. The rest had to back in the box as I had the wrong wrech for the bolts to make the maf and piping go together.