Soot from tailpipes

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
I have read some Q and A on this subject but asking again based on my situation.
When I start my 71 Mach 1 with 351 Windsor (yes small block Windsor not Cleveland) with Summit 4bbl carb. I notice some black soot on my concrete, pic attached.
It stops after warmed up. As most know from previous posts I am by far not a mechanic.
I did get power back to my electric choke with some great help from a forum user and think I have it adjusted correctly. Closes when cold and gradually opens as it warms up. Idle drops with a little flick of the gas peddle.
Any thoughts and suggestions?

Attachments

• 747E5A79-CCAD-47B1-924D-8FCD2C0D3BE8.jpeg
    747E5A79-CCAD-47B1-924D-8FCD2C0D3BE8.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

Your choke may be adjusted a bit too tight or it could be getting too much fuel when parked. Or it could be a standard carb start up.
Besides some soot, is there any other signs of flooding when parked?

Its normal. Water condenses in the cold exhaust pipe, it washes the soot outta the pipes.....the pipes ideally should not be that sooty, but if the car is just short tripped and not let to warm up this is nothing to be concerned with. It the car is only driven for reasonably long distances the pipes should be cleaner, and its rich.

Reactions: 1 user
If you adjust it just tight enough to start and run without stumbling when cold, that’s tight enough.
And if the weather is nice, of course you need to take it for a good drive.

That sounds ok if it runs fine. The Holley high idle cam usually has steps that only let the choke open when the throttle is opened, so I’ve never timed it. But that seems like about what I do with a manual choke, maybe a bit slower at 65 deg.

Last edited:
I had one years ago that would soot a bit like yours every now and then. After a good highway drive, the pipes were white to light brown...always thought that a good indicator of proper mix with a carb.