Sorry, 1 more clutch question...

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
I asked a few weeks ago about the spec, and you guys talked me out of it, so i am pretty much decided on getting the RAM Powergrip...

Some one mentioned McLeod, i didnt know they made a single disc clutch, all i seen was the twin disc clutches, and that was way out of my price range...

So, now, i just found the McLeod Super StreetPro Clutch Kit listed on Summit, and its only $50 more than the RAM Powergrip...

McLeod RACING 75204 - McLeod Super StreetPro Clutch Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum is using this particular McLeod, and how they like it. I've searched the forums and didnt find much. Its still in my price range, and i know you tend to get what you pay for. I am not particularly thrilled about clutch chatter, and i keep reading that RAM Powergrips tend to do that.

Basically, I want to do this once, and do it right. I dont know which route to go here. :shrug:

note: i will be replacing the pilot bearing and tob with frpp parts, and using the stock clutch cable with american muscles adjustable clutch kit

Mod's in signiture, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

McLeod makes good stuff. They only thing different between the two is the fact that this McLeod has organic material on both sides of the clutch disc. The Powergrip disc has metallic on the flywheel side and organic on the PP side.

If you glaze the McLeod its all over. The Powergrip also has a slightly higher torque rating as well. Either way, both can handle what you got with the Kenne Bell!

I see you have a Powergrip, have you had any problems or complaints about it? Any Chatter? What kind of break in is it?

If you could do it over, and you were given a choice of either of the 2, which would you go with?

No problems or complaints. I've had issues with UPR clutch cables, but after replacing with a OEM one, the clutch is still perfect. There is some chatter on takeoff, but that is to be expected with a stage 3 clutch or similar. I was N/A when I had it installed. I gave it 500 miles just like any clutch. It chatters a little moreso during break-in, but otherwise it is very bearable for me. I also have MM XD LCA's which resonate through the chassis too, so I have NVH elsewhere throughout the car too, so I alittle chatter is fine by me. I'd go with a Powergrip. When I got it, I got it for $199 shipped off of eBay, brand new. I was really impressed with the quality (and of course, the price). I did research and very few people had complaints about RAM's quality. I am also using their TOB and pilot bearing that was included and installed by my shop.

I am used to a heavier pedal as the Camaro I had had a 6 puck in it. The Powergrip is very on/off, but still slips in between shifts. It is harshest on take off from a stop light, stop sign, etc. I've had it in my car for over 15k without any issues.