Sorry Coffee

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
It warmed up here for a day or two last week so I decided to take the LX out for a while to stretch its bones. I had just made a big coffee in my thermal mug with lid. I started the car to warm it up and went back in the house. A few minutes later went back out with my coffee in hand. I figured Id just hold it between my legs and drive nice and easy. I got in the car, backed it out of the carport and cranked up the music. As my heart rate climbed I looked down at the big coffee cup between my legs and said to myself, "aint no nice and easy driving happening, sorry coffee". I opened the door, set the coffee mug on the driveway and left for my excursion into excitement.

Car ran great. The air was cool and made good power. Pavement and tires were not hot enough so the ride was squirrely more than a few times.

Just wanted to share. Peace out

Reactions: 8 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Been there before. I've actually ripped a few gears with my coffee stuck between e brake and pass seat. Held....barely.

I really need to get on molding a coffee cup holder into a spare console lid. I like cruising with a coffee but also want it secure.

Reactions: 1 user
That spot e-brake and seat has always been a great cupholder. I have the original cupholder that you insert in the ashtray and cups just stick out a little to high for shifting/driving.

I want to do the same thing and put my original one away since the ashtray door still works.

Same here. Picked up a clean console lid so I could keep my original intact. I'm trying to figure out what cup holder I want to mold in.

IMG_6247.JPG

I liked the 01-04 mustang cup holder with rubber insert, but I have to buy an entire console to get it. It might be a tad too big there anyway

I started my car and moved it to the driveway on Friday. No doors, fenders or anything , still had 3 people stop and ask about it.

What vehicle is that cup holder out of?
I honestly wish I knew, back when I was making the console I went to the local JY and happened to find those but it was a broken section with no manufacturer markings. I have heard from a few others that have made some that they were using the 1st Gen Chevy Colorado for the cupholders, but I have never looked in 1 to confirm it.

One of the reasons I love my '95. Put a console from an '03 in it a while back. My coffee thermos that holds two cups fits in the larger one with the insert removed.

I love the cup holder in my '03. It was perfect for the cups I used.

I'd see if it would fit my console but I need to buy an entire center console for it and it might be a tad bit too wide

I've looked at this thread title and come in here 3 times.

Each time, I've forgotten what this thread was about.

Cup Holders :doh:

Why can't I remember cup holders? :scratch:

I knew the title alone would intrigue.

It was really about the decision to sacrifice bringing the coffee along in exchange for some sportive driving. Although, it morphed into a conversation about cup holders and that's fine with me.
:burnout:

When I was still DDing the Fox, I had a bullet proof coffee cup.

It was all metal, the base was wider than the cup was tall, and had a thumb button that would let the steam pressure out from the hot coffee before you sipped it.

It sat in the right seat, on the dash, and sometime partially sideways over the e brake lever.

It would never fit any cup holder. I was it's own cup holder. The best part was that after the rise of the base, it was round. So, you could still wedge it in between your knees and it still wouldn't go anywhere.

Similar to this:

upload_2018-2-16_21-0-2.png

It had a pretty grippy rubber surface on the bottom that made it stay put.

My second favorite coffee cup for a Fox was just a regular round metal cylinder with a sealed lid and button. I put two rings of velcro hook on it and stuck to the pass side carpet below the center console.

That's the problem I'm having. I can't find a double cup holder that will properly fit that area
When I was in the process of making the cup holders I had considered taking an entire SN95 Console and cutting the Shifter Section off and using the Fox Shifter Section and molding them together. If I ever get around to it someday, I still may try that just because it would be something different.