Sound/Speaker problem, please help.

Josh97GT

Apr 8, 2004
Hey guys, I had noticed some bad sound coming out of my front passenger stock 6x8 speaker, it was like a static sound but only on bass. So I figured it was probably the speaker was bad, so I went ahead and bout new speakers for the front, and nothing, even with the new speakers, it still does it.

Any ideas on what this might be and how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

bass blockers

Well the speaker may be trying to produce a frequency that is too low for the speaker, which could cause some static. You could try to install some "bass blockers" they are little filters that go inline with your speaker wiring and dont allow really low frequencies (20-100 hz) to get to your speakers. The bass blockers are cheap, maybe 5 bucks a piece and if you can install them yourself then it would be a cheap way to figure out if thats the problem, but thats what it sounds like to me. You can buy bass blockers here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m9GOhGI0Lnc/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=11&s=0&g=761&cc=01&avf=N&search=
if that link doesnt work go to www.crutchfield.com and click on installation accessories, and then bass blockers, good luck with your speakers man. Oh another thing, make sure its not the cds, i have a few cds that do that from music that i have downloaded.

Well actually I have had a very similar experience with the rear speaker of a 93 LX. It turned out that the deck was the cause of all the problems. The small amplifier that is in your deck can only do so much and sometimes they just give up and sound terrible afterwards. I suggest getting a deck (factory one you took out) and re-hooking it back up to see if that is the problem.
If that doesn't work also try a direct line from deck to speakers. Sometimes the covering of factory wires wears out.
If that doesn't work try both. If no go with any of that, :shrug: buy another car? Good luck with it.

And drivers are a fancy term for speakers (usually woofers)