sound system in my 88 hatch?

chrishicks

Apr 30, 2005
I already have a decent stereo(Kenwood) but want to add a sub/amp combo. I still have the factory alternator. can I safely add an amp without juicing my system too much? I'm not looking for some 1000W amp, just like 100Wx2 or something like that. I was actually looking at a fan cooled Kenwood amp(KAC-7202). I do eventually want to get a higher amp alt. but the amp/sub combo I was wanting to get this weekend if I could.

also, does anyone have any pics of how the amp/subs are installed in your cars? or more importantly, where are the best places to mount the amp/s? any help with this would be great. thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

If you're running the stock alt, i'd highlyu suggest using a capacitor. It will keep your lights from dimming when you crank the volume.

btw, here's what I did with my audio stuff.

441070_105_full.jpg

441070_106_full.jpg

thank you for the reply. I'll definately check into getting a capacitor installed with everything.

also, that is a really nice setup. but I have to ask, what do you do if you get a flat?

chrishicks said:
also, that is a really nice setup. but I have to ask, what do you do if you get a flat?

I agree it looks very nice. But what do you do if you have a flat????

Here is mine, with a little work I can get to my spare and I even keep a 2 ton floor jack handy to make it easy work.
492429_131_full.jpg

well I did a bit of shopping today. I bought a Kenwood amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IGSbY9QiKxr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=113KAC7252

2 12" Kicker subs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IGSbY9QiKxr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67700&I=2065C12VR4

all the amp hookup wires and a sub box for a total of 420.00 locally. it will cost me 40.00 if I want to pay to have it installed(which I'm going to do). what are the best areas to mount the amp? should I just mount it on the back of the rear seat? I plan on keeping the sub box portable so I don't want to attach it to that. or can I just mount it flat in the hatch?

DMDyne said:
RacEoHolic330, that is an absolutely beautiful install. What is on top of your drivers side wheel well?

Thanks for the kind words. That's my capacitor. I just actually re-carpeted the entire hatch area today with black carpet. I also got rid of the cd changer. Its looks much cleaner now. I'll post up pics tomorrow.

glowstang93 said:
I agree it looks very nice. But what do you do if you have a flat????

Here is mine, with a little work I can get to my spare and I even keep a 2 ton floor jack handy to make it easy work.
492429_131_full.jpg

I have to ask since this is what my install will be like, where did you mount your amp? I'm trying to figure on places to put it. I would like to have access to the spare tire so I think I'm very limited on amp locations. the sub box would have to be moved or removed in order to still have this access so I don't think I can mount the amp to the box.

492429_135_full.jpg

All wires go to the amp. To remove box, you would have to disconnect RCA cables, ground wire, power wire, remote wire. Just remember to take the fuse out of power wire and to isolate the remote so there is no shorting while doing the move. Its not as hot as a custom install, but its still clean and daily driver friendly. By the way, lets check was 148 SPL. Plenty loud enough to kill your hearing.

*possible dumb question alert*

would I run into any problems mounting the amp on the floor in the backseat behind either the drivers/pass. seat? we have never had anyone ride in the backseat so that isn't a concern. but what could go wrong?

chrishicks said:
*possible dumb question alert*

would I run into any problems mounting the amp on the floor in the backseat behind either the drivers/pass. seat? we have never had anyone ride in the backseat so that isn't a concern. but what could go wrong?

You can put the amp there, I just wouldn't because what if someone does accidently sit in back or water leaks in. I just don't think its a good idea, but just my opinion.