Sounds Like Exhaust Rattle But Its Not The Exhaust

cawas

Mar 20, 2004
Greetings to all at stangnet.com. I recently purchased my first car ever- a black gt-1997, manual. The problem i have is that when i start off in first gear, if i dont rev it upto 2000 rpm soon or if i let the clutch out too early, a rattling sound comes from the rear of the car - it sounds as if one of the exhaust components is loose, but i checked all the components and none of them shake by hand at least. when it starts rattling, i just press the clutch in a little bit and it goes away. this doesnt happen in any of the other gears of when im slowing down. is this due to the drive shatf being loose? or is it the clutch? the clutch is suppossed to be brand new- i dont know what kind though.
in case i need to tighten my drive shaft which nuts do i tighten?

I also noticed a huge spray of fluid on the underbody where the drive shaft meets the rear diff- all over the mufflers too- is this a pinion seal problem and is this related to my rattling problem? the fluid never accumulates on the ground but the underbody is looking pretty crappy. is this seal easy to replace?
i topped off my differential fluid with royal purple max-gear 75W90 and noticed some filings in the diff too. i havent opened up the diff. cover yet though.

Any help/suggesstions would be most welcome guys- thanks a bunch.

• Sponsors (?)