Source for window cranks

78 Mach1

Advanced Member
Feb 17, 2022
German Valley, Illinois
Does anyone know of a source for getting window cranks for the Mustang II? Both of mine are stripped out. I tried to use some off of my 69 F100 which I believe are the same as the early Mustangs and they fit the regulator but rub on the door panels when cranking up or down. So obviously that won't work. The part number of my originals is D6DB6623348. I was able to find a few originals on Google but the sellers want around $50 for one. That's ridiculous. I'm not building a concourse all original show car. I'd be fine with some Dorman replacements. When I search Mustang II window cranks, I get the older Mustang cranks. If I search the Ford part number, I only get the overpriced originals. I'd be fine with some aftermarket ones. I just need to make sure they have the same shape as the originals so they don't rub my door panels. My panels are nice and I don't want them getting messed up by the window cranks. So my question is, has anyone found a reasonably priced aftermarket replacement window crank that works?

• Sponsors (?)

It's been a really long time since I've messed with them, but I'm pretty sure I used Dorman replacements. It seems that the originals had a plastic "washer" or disc between it and the door panel to prevent it from rubbing or cutting into the panel.

Click here

Yes, you are correct about the plastic washers. I have those. Pretty brittle so I plan to replace them as well. The issue I'm having is the mustang II cranks have a longer barrel on them (the part with teeth that mounts to the regulator) to allow more space between the door panel and the crank. When I tried using the early version cranks the rubbing was actually out where the knob mounts to the crank. The 1960's ford window cranks had a shorter barrel and a more straight lever section than the Mustang II. This puts them to close to the panel and creates rubbing.

I sure wish you could remember the Dorman number. I believe inexpensive ones exist. I just can't find the Part number cross to the originals to know which ones to order. I thought this was going to be the easiest part of this restoration, but it has proved to be tougher than I thought.

I was able to find Dorman door pins that worked to rebuild my factory hinges. So if anyone needs those numbers I got them.

I"ll try to remember to look, I think I might have a handle or 2 lying around. If so, I'll see if I can't get a couple pics or part numbers or something from them.

Here's the bad boy I used. At least I think it's the same - they might have had different revisions on them or something, but they look like this. :shrug:

Link

1646409201193.png

Reactions: 1 user
I did order two of the Dorman 76916 cranks. They are close and do work. But just in case anyone else is using this thread as a source for information, they are not exact. You will want to order both sides if you want them to match. I’ll use these for now but continue to look for an exact match to original. I have attached pictures to show the difference in them from original. The original is a bit longer and stands off the door more.

Attachments

• EF377ACF-77F9-4542-ABAB-3D8DDD20ECAC.jpeg
    EF377ACF-77F9-4542-ABAB-3D8DDD20ECAC.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 41
  • BAD45F33-6228-4A6E-977F-5C638CAA20D0.jpeg
    BAD45F33-6228-4A6E-977F-5C638CAA20D0.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 45
  • AAC11A2E-839E-43E4-8370-923C66C467E0.jpeg
    AAC11A2E-839E-43E4-8370-923C66C467E0.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I did order two of the Dorman 76916 cranks. They are close and do work. But just in case anyone else is using this thread as a source for information, they are not exact. You will want to order both sides if you want them to match. I’ll use these for now but continue to look for an exact match to original. I have attached pictures to show the difference in them from original. The original is a bit longer and stands off the door more.
Funny thing. I pulled my 76 Cobra II out of storage today. I decided to compare the cranks on it. At some point in its life, somebody, most likely my Dad since it used to be his car, put these exact Dorman cranks on it. I never noticed before and had no complaints. So I’m sticking with them on this car as well. If you use these, you won’t be disappointed. They do give you slightly more clearance from the door handles as well. So that is a bonus. Side note, I found the Dorman plastic washers. They come in a assorted box of different sizes. Not as good as factory but they do work well.
CA5A0051-104B-47E6-9174-C27F51312F06.jpeg
729E7B5B-267B-4B9F-986D-93DF9BD75C6F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users