Forced Induction Spark plug dilemma...

I just purchased a 1984 Mustang Saleen clone which has been sitting in a garage for about 10 years. After pumping out the old fuel, installing a new fuel pump and filter and a new Vortech supercharger I got it running. It runs excellent while cruising, but it breaks up and misses under acceleration. The motor appears to be a stock 5.0 with headers and exhaust, so I ordered a new set of plugs as I thought that might be the problem. I pulled out the first plug to check it and it looks like the mixture is good - nice tan insulator...BUT when I compared the length of the thread end to the new plugs I bought it was much shorter. The plugs in the engine now are Bosch Platinum HR98PY, and the plugs I bought are Motorcraft AGSF32C. If the Motorcraft plugs are correct - it would seem that the shorter plugs are why the engine breaks up under acceleration. I’m hoping for some advice.
137939F6-DF5B-4389-8608-2A158BD5B943.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

The plot thickens I had a set of brand new autolite 2445 copper core plugs recommend for my 1986 lying around that I bought years ago . They look different than both of your plugs. They're kind of in between. Advance auto and autozone both call for an auto lite 25, for a 1984 which looks closer to your shorter plug. maybe call vortech for thier recommendation.

spark plug.jpg

The plot thickens I had a set of brand new autolite 2445 copper core plugs recommend for my 1986 lying around that I bought years ago . They look different than both of your plugs. They're kind of in between. Advance auto and autozone both call for an auto lite 25, for a 1984 which looks closer to your shorter plug. maybe call vortech for thier recommendation.

spark plug.jpg
Problem solved. Took the “long” plugs back and got the correct set for the car - Motorcraft SP-502 ASF 42P and gapped them at 28 thousands. No more misfire!

Reactions: 1 user