Spark Plug Recommendations

Actually it's not. So your arguement is that because Ford put them in they are the best choice becuase it's a DD, correct? Does that mean pre '99 that the plug wires they used were the best? Does that mean that pre '96 the Ford distributor was the best? Your arguement that because Ford did it doesn't hold any water what so ever!
BTW my application was N/A not boosted and ran 12.6 and drove around all the time including a 2.5 hours drive on radials and skinnies to 66 for the NMRA race, raced and drove home, so I think I have a good idea of what works thanks.
Start thinking for yourself and doing research and R&D before jumping on a bandwagon or using the factory did it so it must be good idea.

That's kind of harsh don't you think? For a car that is relatively stock, a stock platinum plug provides more than enough spark for his application AND has the added benefit of not requiring replacement for 100K miles.

Read post #19

• Sponsors (?)

I prefer copper it is hotter than platinum but not nearly as long lasting. That is ok I look at my plugs at least once a year anyways. Iridium is the best overall but way too expensive for me.

Autolite 764's or Autolite 103's which are one step colder then stop. Don't buy into that platinum bull****

Thanks Mister, that's what I'm running, the 764's. But damn they wear out so quick, 10K miles.
It is a good thing my tuner guy told me directly that I'd have to change them out that often, or I would have never looked at them at 10k miles.
But he also told me to change my serpintine belt every 10K too, but I haven't changed that in over 25k miles.
I think he was yankin' my crank on that one, to drum up business.
Thanks for the info stangman.

I didn't say anything about platinums being the best plug for your application, so don't imagine that I did. I am simply saying that it isn't correct to recommend everyone to avoid platinum plugs because they are "bull****". And now you are trying to back up your statement with your quarter mile times? Seriously, it doesn't matter what kind of plug you run at your power level. You make what... 1 to 1.1 horse per cubic inch?

For a basically stock, daily driven car, platinum is a good choice. I run a platinum in my 97 GT because it is a daily driver and I simply don't want to replace the plugs once a year. Replacing the plugs more often increases the chance of stripping the spark plug threads and is generally a waste of my time. Like ford, I choose the plug for life expectancy with good performance and value. Copper plugs have their place, but I think 95% of the people on this board are in the same boat and a platinum would be the better choice.

In my 88, I run a copper plug. I race the car and replace the plugs often, so copper is the better choice for value and spark. It also has a very dense mixture to light off, so I need every advantage to get a clean reliable spark. I push more fuel and air into 4 cylinders than you do with 8. Just to light the mixture on the stock coil, I run a .020 gap. That's what happens when you are making nearly 3 horse per cubic inch. So when you are making north of 800hp on your 281, you can shout around that you HAVE to run coppers, but keep in mind that platinum is still the best choice for most of the daily driven cars here.

Actually it's not. So your arguement is that because Ford put them in they are the best choice becuase it's a DD, correct? Does that mean pre '99 that the plug wires they used were the best? Does that mean that pre '96 the Ford distributor was the best? Your arguement that because Ford did it doesn't hold any water what so ever!
BTW my application was N/A not boosted and ran 12.6 and drove around all the time including a 2.5 hours drive on radials and skinnies to 66 for the NMRA race, raced and drove home, so I think I have a good idea of what works thanks.
Start thinking for yourself and doing research and R&D before jumping on a bandwagon or using the factory did it so it must be good idea.

Brian is on the mark - you need to read his entire post(s) before sounding off. As he stated, "95% of the car here probably are (daily drivers)" - this is an excellent reason to stay with the factory plug. For most people, swapping plugs is not high on their 'get excited' to do list, so it's often neglected. Those people should have the long life plugs.