Speedo gear broke inside tranny?

iamadonut

Jan 12, 2003
lax
Hey guys,

When I bought my car the speedo cable was broken and I just got around to dealing with it today. I jacked the car up and the piece that inserts into the tranny was still there, with a ghetto plastic cap covering the end where the speedo cable SHOULD be. Anyway, I yanked the end out and it looks like the tip of the speedo gear -- the piece that covers the square cable -- is missing and some of the teeth are chewed up. So, chances are the tip of the speedo gear is probably INSIDE the tranny.

How big of a problem is this? Should I get it out of there ASAP, and is there even a way to do that???

Lastly, it looks like the PO used an O-ring when he installed the end of the cable. Is an O-ring necessary? Doesn't look like it in my Haynes...

• Sponsors (?)

The O-ring is necessary and if you think there is something floating around in the xmission I would get it outta there ASAP. Been a while and depending on what transmission you have I think all you have to do is remove the tail shaft to access the speedo gear.

place a block under the trans pan, jack it up slightly. Remove the driveshaft ( be prepared for the flood of ATF when removing the driveshaft slip yoke :D ). Next remove the nuts holding the trans mount in place. You may then remove the trans cross member at this time to gain more work space. Otherwise unbolt the tailshaft housing from the main case ( be prepared for another flood of ATF :rlaugh:) After removing all this, you'll see the speedo drive grooves in the tailshaft. If they're chewed up, then you're screwed as far as a working speedo. Otherwise dump the speedo gear remains out of the housing. Be a good time to change the rear seal at this time and check the U joints on the drive shaft too. Use a new gasket to reinstall the T/S housing. Then reassemble the whole thing in reverse order. Be sure to add more ATF before operating the car. :nice: