speedo problems

5.0mustang91

Aug 6, 2007
i have a 91 lx(5spd)....my speedo jumps around when iam traveling over 30mph usually stays around 90-100 and wont stop till the car stops...the mechanic says that the cable and the gear on the cable are good.....he cant find out why the speedometer is jumping around....the instrument cluster was replaced and we got the same effect .........does any one know what might be the problem????? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.....

thnx.....5.0mustang91lx

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, the cable or the gear are bad. :)

The gear is very easy to tell, just pull it out of the tranny and look at it. If all the teeth are there and none of them are broken in anyway, then it is the cable. The cable itself is binding inside the sheath and causing the speedo to jump around.

It is also possible that both speedo heads you tried are bad, it is VERY common for the internal gear in those to loose a tooth or two. But if the two speedo heads are jumping at the exact same speeds, I would lean towards tranny gear or cable.

Oh, I guess it's possible that the internal driven gear in the tranny is bad.

both speedo heads didnt jump the same the original one is slower than the replacement....mechanic said cable and gear were fine i saw both and agree they r in good condition....anybody know about a recall ford had on speedo heads from 90-93?????? mainly 93s............

u might want to look into the recall ford had on speedometer heads for 93's.....only thing mechanic told me might be the problem would be the speedometer its self....brand new retails from ford for 1000.00...i have a buddy that works at ford he found it for that price.........

I've seen other types of older cars with bouncing speedo needles, so I bet its the cable or the gears too.

speedometer its self....brand new retails from ford for 1000.00...i have a buddy that works at ford he found it for that price.........

A $1000.00!:scratch: (been repeating that to myself for the past 10 mins) Even if it was a grand would they still have it in stock?

u might want to look into the recall ford had on speedometer heads for 93's.....only thing mechanic told me might be the problem would be the speedometer its self....brand new retails from ford for 1000.00...i have a buddy that works at ford he found it for that price.........

They are not available through Ford any longer, and they were never that much money.

You can find rebuilt, complete, clusters for much less than that.

both speedo heads didnt jump the same the original one is slower than the replacement....mechanic said cable and gear were fine i saw both and agree they r in good condition....anybody know about a recall ford had on speedo heads from 90-93?????? mainly 93s............

Not sure about any recall, but if it wasn't a safety recall then it is long expired anyway.

If the two speedo heads jumped at different speeds, then I would say you have two bad speedo heads. If it was the cable, gear, or driven gear...the jump would be consistent with the two heads. But with them jumping at different times, I would say the gears in the speedo heads are missing teeth.

Try this guy in New Orleans.
Dowell's Speedometer Repair (504) 366-1467.
I think his name is Jack.
He did some work for me YEARS ago. Nice guy, good job.
I got this number out the book but I don't know if he's still in business.
(katrina, you know).

Good Luck & LMK how you make out.