• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Drivetrain Speedometer and odometer stopped working

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnthonyA1234
  • Start date Start date Oct 19, 2024

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Oct 19, 2024
#1
  • Oct 19, 2024
  • #1
Speedometer and odometer stopped working in my 92 manual 5 speed gt. I replaced the transmission recently and put in new speedometer gears with it so it can’t be the gears. What does that leave as the possible causes? Could the speed sensor cause this or is it a bad cable?
 

89ripper

Founding Member
Jun 3, 2002
925
309
103
Rockford, Illinois
Oct 19, 2024
#2
  • Oct 19, 2024
  • #2
Check this out

Thread 'Frustrating Foxbody Speedo'

Jan 14, 2018
hey everyone. I’ll make it short. My speedometer and odometer just quit working. The cable and gear were fine but I replaced them anyway. I looked into trans opening and saw the gear on the input shaft, seemed good and didn’t spin by my finger. The cable can move speedo needle by hand so the head unit should be fine. So that should be it, all seems fine but no speedo! Also this is my second speedo cable that has leaked trans fluid from the crimp. I’ve search forums and found that a lot leak. Are any speedo cables not junk? Frustrated to the point I almost listed it for sale. Any help is...
  • Keith5.0GT
  • speedometer speedometercable
  • Replies: 36
  • Forum: Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
 

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Oct 19, 2024
#3
  • Oct 19, 2024
  • #3
Ok, so based off what I got from that thread and others the vss sensor has nothing to do with it so I can cross that off the list.

So I’ll unbolt the Speedo cable from the trans and spin it to see if the cables good. I’ll also peek through the hole in the tail housing to see if the tail shaft gear is still centered in the hole.

Only thing I’m wondering, do I attach the drill to the nub on the end of the Speedo cable gear that I circled in the pic? And which way do I spin it clockwise?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1446.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 111

rednotch

I'd like to remain having one chocolate starfish
Founding Member
Aug 14, 2000
1,442
665
143
south jersey
Oct 19, 2024
#4
  • Oct 19, 2024
  • #4
Drill counter clockwise on the end of the cable while someone watches the speedo, dont go full boogie with the drill, increase rpm slowly. Pull the cable out of the speed sensor and chuck the cable end not the gear. If it spins troubles in the gears. If it doesnt troubles in the cable or Speedo head. some Fresh gears can get chewed up fast with some gear combos and even slip in on speed sensor so check that by hand with a little heat, the shaft gears can also walk down the main shaft if the clips screwed up. Best to test the head unit with a drill if any bouncing issues too.
 
Last edited: Oct 19, 2024
Reactions: 2000xp8 and AnthonyA1234

rednotch

I'd like to remain having one chocolate starfish
Founding Member
Aug 14, 2000
1,442
665
143
south jersey
Oct 19, 2024
#5
  • Oct 19, 2024
  • #5
Here's a gear slipping on the sensor... View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCq4_jwGY0I
 
Reactions: hotpony and AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Nov 8, 2024
#6
  • Nov 8, 2024
  • #6
Found the problem. Looks like when my welder was cutting out my floor rust he sliced the cable
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    194.6 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: General karthief

rednotch

I'd like to remain having one chocolate starfish
Founding Member
Aug 14, 2000
1,442
665
143
south jersey
Nov 8, 2024
#7
  • Nov 8, 2024
  • #7
That will do it
 
Reactions: GTOreturns and gkomo

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,403
21,609
234
Box behind Walmart
Nov 8, 2024
#8
  • Nov 8, 2024
  • #8
 
Reactions: gkomo
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
172
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
T
2003 GT cluster issue
  • Timothys gourmet
  • Aug 26, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
242
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 28, 2025
Mustang5L5
S
For Sale 2007 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE/137,797 MI/ 20,000+MI NEW ENGINE/BRAND NEW TIRES/$4500 OBO/WAUKEGAN, IL
  • Savage21!
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14)
Replies
0
Views
155
S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) Sep 10, 2026
Savage21!
S
00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
179
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
J
Speedometer cable
  • Jimwbx
  • Sep 12, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
177
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 12, 2025
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?