Fox Speedometer WTH

elarm1

10 Year Member
Dec 17, 2010
N.Va
My speedometer is all over the place and it sucks. It squeals with every revolution of my wheels and it is annoying not to mention the fact that I really do not know what my exact speeds is. I replaced the cable which wasn't broken along with the VSS from LMR and I still have no speedometer. I'm pretty certain that the damage is in the speedo itself but what are my options on a fix?

• Sponsors (?)

The speedometer head can be replaced or swapped from another cluster. I haven't been able to find them new lately. Its really a simple mechanism. You may have dust and build up in it. Just be careful with disassembly.

Reactions: 1 user
My speedometer is all over the place and it sucks. It squeals with every revolution of my wheels and it is annoying not to mention the fact that I really do not know what my exact speeds is. I replaced the cable which wasn't broken along with the VSS from LMR and I still have no speedometer. I'm pretty certain that the damage is in the speedo itself but what are my options on a fix?
Damage in the Speedo sounds painful. Did you get the parts cleaned and fixed or replaced?

I had a similar issue. Chirping, erratic cable. I replaced it and it didn’t work at all. Then I removed it and lubed it better using white lithium grease. It’s working ever since.

The bushing in the head is failing. It also causes a bouncing speedometer.

I have a spare speedo but haven’t found the motivation to dissect it and find the culprit abs offer up a solution. It’s on my agenda though as my speedo bounces a tad and I’ve tried two new cables.

changing the speedo out for another is pretty easy though. Matching the mileage is also simple to do of that sort of thing matters to you.

I had the same issue. I replaced my cable when I bought my car a few years ago, thinking that was my problem. After attempting to repair the bouncing and noisey needle a few times, (even took it to a vintage speedo repair shop, with no luck,) I relubed the cable with more than recommended graphite powder and used liquid wrench all purpose oil on the back of the speedometer. I did that a few hundred miles ago and it’s been working fine, all the way up to 80-85. I Haven’t exceeded that speed.

Before that I swapped the speedometer out with another one and had similar issues with the 2nd one. The mileage is pretty easy to match up. Time will tell how long it lasts.