Spider Intake..NOTICEABLE loss in low end? I am not a "tracker"..I am street only.

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
Is it a good idea for me to go spider? or should I stay with Edelbrock 5.8 victor for my 414? I like the idea of high HP! BUT I seem to remember Mike sending me a message about loss of low end. I am running 3.27's out back right now and it still has GREAT low end. Thx in advance.

edit: Right now I am running a pp typhoon intake that cuts my power almost literally on a downward spiral @ 4700 and doesn't flow enough .

• Sponsors (?)

It's 414ci, of course it'll have great low end. :lol: My friend with the 427W seems to start all his dyno runs at 3000+ rpms so I can't give you exact numbers below that. From looking at the graph, my guess would be that he's about 20-30rwtq less than my car in the 2000-2500 range, and he peaks about 20rwtq less than me. His last dyno was 445rwhp/420rwtq, about 15-20 lower than usual. It was very hot and muggy that day.

Personally, I would stick with the Victor 5.8. :)

Thanks Mike. I am looking at my dyno sheet now. I am showing 390rwtq @ 3000rpm even with my poopy intake. It looks like about 365rwtq @ 2500 rpm. It doesn't show any numbers below that. I would be satisfied if TQ stayed there!

BTW, how are you putting out such awesome #'s? I am running 210cc heads and a .586 cam but right now my intake is killing it. But you are running within 20HP of a 427 with spider intake?! I thought the spider would product more.

:OT: Nice , I see you hit 11's. Looks like you have muchbetter times ahead when you get your 60ft down too, wow.

Also, is there anything you did to keep the rain out of your hood? I was wondering what I can put in the scoop hole tin case I get caught in the rain lol.

Those tq numbers are right in line with mine. Here's my dyno sheet, http://www.mustangaddiction.com/images/latest/web/dyno 006.jpg.

The difference between mine and the 427 is I have a custom cam and he's using an OTS cam. I'm pretty sure it's the TF stage 3. With a custom cam he could be close to 500rwhp.

At the track, he ran 11.95 @ 118 with a 1.73 60' time. I ran 11.974 @ 120 with a 1.98 60', then an 11.976 with 1.86 60'. Another pass I know I had an 11.8xx or better run going, but I missed 3rd gear. :mad:

I don't worry about my hood scoop in the rain. The only problem I've ever had with it is getting some water in the distributor once when I washed the car.

Mikes car has AFR225's....no comparrison to the PC210cc heads, it also has big long tube headers and larger exhaust. Your cam is from the same grinder, FTI.

I'd go Victor 5.8 for your combo Keith...less headaches in the long run for you and it will provide a little broader curve. Make me a template and I can laser cut some clear lexan out on the laser and you can silicone it to your hood ;)