Spintech Side Exhaust - Installed

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not really big on the look. I know it's the way that it's meant to be, but to me it looks really hack with the tips just hanging there. I've seen some cars with special ground effects that incorperate the side exhaust into it, and they look badass. With the sideskirts on the GT there, it looks like the side ports don't belong. As far as sound, I love spintechs. With my setup (FRPP headers, MAC prochamber, MAC flowpaths) it sounds alot like spins, people ask me alot if I have them. I just can't afford them or I would. Nice work though, and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters, right?

88streetrod, can you tell me how tall the subframe connectors from spintech are?

im considering the exhaust also, but im not sure if it will clear my subframes or not. also, has your car been lowered at all?

Subscribing...

I Have the Pro Street mufflers and i love 'em. I am so happy I didnt just hop on the bandwagon and get Flows. They sound mean and different. I have even had cops compliment the sound after they have pulled me over!!!!

SPINTECH'S RULE!!!!!!!!!

astronut1885 said:
I'm not really big on the look. I know it's the way that it's meant to be, but to me it looks really hack with the tips just hanging there.

GT350s had them like that :shrug:. No sideskirts, but some might think it still looked a little funny.

I actually had a similar idea, but I would fabricate it all myself and use even longer, flatter tips. Fab is a pain, though.

Yup- and I thought they looked just as tough on the GT350's too. It's also how they are on the '00 Cobra R, although with double tips. The only time they could ever look funny or hacked, IMO, is if you were laying on the ground looking at them, and when does anybody do that? Walking by they look clean and serious. I don't like the ones that are integrated with ground effects, they look like plastic side pipes... or a nonfunctional ricer gimmic unless exhaust is coming out of them; but to each his own. My Dad is getting them for his '01 GT, so maybe seeing them in person will change my opinion. Regardless, I've never seen a side exhaust kit incorperated into ground effects for a Fox, and I can't imagine it looking anything but retarded. I love 88GTStreetRod's setup, if I thought I had enough clearance for it I'd have done it by now.

Most of the aftermarket or muffler-shop fabbed side-exits I've seen don't look very good - my subjective opinion. The problem is that from different angles, different terrain (when the car's up-hill from you) in many cases you can actually get a pretty good view of how far down they hang to clear stuff coming out the side. It's fine as suggested above if you can fab up something VERY low profile (oval or rectangular) so that the pipe really hugs the underside. But simple round pipes bologna cut, or custom tips just hang down too far to look good to me.

But, everyone's gotta do what they like. I've thought about side exit on mine. The clearance issue is compounded as my unibody has a vertical seam under the rocker panel (where all the spot welds are) that hangs down another 3/4" below the rocker. I've got to get under that too. Can't figure out how to make it work without SERIOUS fabrication. I gotta get better at welding!

Nice Mustang, awesome exhaust. I *love* the sound, it has a very rich and powerful tone.

I would totally consider going the Spintech route. How much difficulty have you had with bumps in the road and the like? I had a similar setup on my old '71 Firebird and I couldn't even go over speed bumps without scraping the entire pipe.

can anyone comment further on this exhaust?

i called spintech about this if anyone wants more info. ONLY there subframes will work, or you can grind them down slightly they said. they couldn't tell me how much or how thick theres were though. it works with aftermarket h-pipes ect not just the stock as the description says. i am just going to dent the pipe slightly for clearance if the subframes need to be ground alot.

i ordered this exhaust last thursday, it should be here in a couple days and ill post something about it assuming i get it to work. i just lowered my car another 1" or so in the back to get rid of my fendergap.

if you can post some dimensions streetrod i would appreciate it so i can get ****ing pissed now over potential clearance problems then later.

have you driven it over speed bumps? how far is the pipe off the ground? and how high are your ground effects off the ground? mine measure 9 inches even.

ok im obsessing over figuring this out and i have nothing better to do. so..

after studying streetrods pics in imaging, i have roughly figured out the lowest spot on that pic is level with the top of the sidewall on the tire. assuming those are 17"/40 series profile tires, the sidewall should be roughly 3.25-3.50 inches.

my h-pipe hangs lower then that on my car. 2.9" to be exact at the lowest spot which is about 18" away from those pipes. i rarely scrape my h-pipe when i get lazy or have someone on my ass going over speed bumps, nothing else hits.

so my conclusion: on my car, using my dimensions, with the full 2.5" diameter of that pipe pushed up against my subframes i will still be able to clear. denting it/grinding the subframes will give it even more tolerence. :spot:

that is with eibach lowering springs, which put me down about 1.85" now in the rear, but i also have 18's which should make my car sit 1/2" higher then a identical car with 17's.

ill have to leave it at that until thursday. hope that helps someone :stick:

Silly question - Would this exhaust fit directly with a set of BBK unequal-length shorties and a BBK off-road H?

Does anyone else have piping recommendations? I may be starting a new job fairly soon so I'm in the market. Bassani makes good parts, right? I'm trying to avoid the loss of low-end torque associated with long-tubes.

The only thing that kept me from buying this setup for my Coupe was the problem with the subframes. Mine are tubular (round style, not square) and stick down almost 2 inches from the frame. That along with the fact that i love the look of tail lights on a Coupe, and the deal was out. I'm still debateing on doing just what you said, and dint the crap out of my subs for clearance.