squeaking from bellhousing?? (breaking clutch cables)

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
hey theres a squeak from the bellhousing, when i press the clutch and let off of it.

and where the clutch cable sheath, clips to the bellhousing, theres the c-clip that holds the sheath from going back, and on the other side theres a ring built in the cable. Well that ring was ripped off. took a drive and did it within 5 mins (had to replace clutch cable since my last one melted.)

didnt go like 5 miles and broke

bought another cable thinking the cable was crappy and the next one did the same thing. broke in less that 5 mins.

this noise from the bell housing is strange, the pedal is rather stiffer and feels like something is binding up..

it didnt squeak b4, the car was sitting for like 2 days since i didnt get a clutch cable the first time(when the original one melted)

so over the last month
-had factory cable, worked great, the cable itself snapped near the bellhousing

-had parts store cable, worked great, sheath melted and pinched cable (due to equal length headers sticking out farther.

-put another part store cable on, had the squeak at bellhousing, ring on cable sheath ripper off in 5 mins

-put another cable on, still squeaked and ripped ring off in 5 mins.

i need to get a new tranny anyway.
maybe its the throwout bearing?? all dry and bad putting too much stress on the cable??

any ideas?
thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

i wonder if your routing it right. are you sure it's not getting binded up in the steering linkage right there by the header and that steering joint?? thats the only reason i could think it would be pulling the cable sheath away from the bell housing itself, unless you have it way way way adjusted to tight.......

your quadrant have 3 hooks? which one you using?

ok before i had my cable rounded on the left side of the motor mount, it was next to the oil pan. This made the cable touch my headers(equal lengths)

but the bracket for the side lined up good, it seemed like this was the correct route for it.

did some reading and re routed it. i put it under the motor mount bracket(next to steering linkage)
but when i did, the bracket for the side of the wouldnt line up, so i had to bend it. it looked good, was away from the header but just felt rough and squeaked.

dunno why its squeaking though. didnt do it b4, all it did was sit for 2 days now its all like OMG

and the sheath is pulling towards the tranny.... the c-clip is fine, its the plastic lip(on engine side of bellhousing) that gettes ripped off, which lets the sheath slide back towards the back of the car.

isnt adjusted too tight, there is slack at the top of the pedal.
i usually use the hook closest to the steering wheel( more like stock position)

well i can't say for sure but.......you may be over extending it by using that hook on the quad.......is it a 3 hook quad??

see, i see your thinking about the stock hook and how it looks, but there's a different "throw" to an after market quad......and the stocker is different because it uses that ratcheting mechanism to adjust, so that stock hook is going to be in a diff location.

it sounds like if you have a 3 hook and your using the one furthest from the firewall, well your clutch cable is over extended some, when you floor the clutch, it's used up all the cable and starting to pull the sheath through the bell hole and then snapping them......like i said i'm not positive but thats definatly something to look at......try the middle hook or the next closest hook to the fire wall ( away from the steering wheel) and then re adjust your fwa and clutch accordingly from there on and see how it works.....

or, your cables adjusted to tight because of the hook you have it on, and the force from the clutch fork returning to it's resting position is pulling the sheath through the bell housing hole.....somethings goin on with that you shouldn't be wasting clutch cables like that....hmmmmmmmmm, make sure to post back if and when you figure it out i'm curious about this one....

Does your pedal have popping feel to it as you push down on the pedal, like as you start to push down on the pedal the pedal gets tighter and tighter and then all of a sudden the pedal releases (loosen up) real quick?
It could be that the fork has jumped off the ball inside the bell housing and is putting undo stress on the cable.