Engine Standard rotation water pump w/ power steering

5.0juss

Jan 18, 2021
Bay Area
Hey guys,
I’m new to the forums along with the mustang scene. I recently bought a notch which I believe has an SN95 block. Car has AFR heads, I honestly don’t know much on what’s in the motor. I’m looking to add power steering back on to the car. From what I know, the car is running just an Alt, Crank and Water pump pulley. Also, I believe the car is running a standard rotation water pump. Is it possible to run PS or add it back on with running a standard rotation wp? Or will I need to convert back to reverse rotation? I know March performance sells a pulley and bracket kit to run a dual belt from the crank pulley to the ps. But, is there a cheaper way to do this?

Thanks fellas

• Sponsors (?)

As you can see in the photos, I tried to mount the power steering pump with bracket. But my pulley is too far forward and doesn’t line up with the rest of the pulley. So I’m looking for an alternative.

8F4145A8-7A44-40AB-AA16-D44EEAC08457.jpeg
A73765AB-53E9-450E-960D-DBE71B558346.jpeg

I think anyway you do this is gonna be expensive. The pulley setup is shorter than a fox setup, which is why you have the misalignment issues. You either need to convert back to full fox accessories or run a custom pS setup. What timing cover is on the car? Curious if they swapped to the correct timing cover or just use the existing.

You could also convert to a Volvo electric power steering pump

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not too sure about the timing cover. I don’t mind switching back to Foxbody accessories if need be. Which would include timing cover and water pump correct? I have the ac delete Foxbody bracket and ps pump bracket. Would that work? Or would I need more parts? Looks to me that this car is running March performance pulleys.

You’ll need this on the pass side of the engine.

Here is the timing cover differences. Under the water pump should be a part number. If you can get a pic of that and read the number you can ID it. You can even notice a physical difference in the left port which might help to ID it. Part number would be 100%

741ECA1A-1E2B-492D-9920-E82A85C018C2.png

SN95 and fox use the same F1SE block from 91-95. The difference is accessories. Would need more pics, but that might be a Ford Explorer crank pulley and aftermarket alternator bracket setup. Could be an explorer swap. Not definitive without poking around a bit. But regardless, your crank and pass side accessories are not fox specific

So let’s say I decide to switch to fox everything. Fox water pump and timing cover. And I find a custom alt bracket. I would also need to swap out the crank pulley correct?

Can you take some better pics to confirm? Maybe down at the balancer?

I’m leaning yes but would like to see the balancer

What’s up guys, these are the best photos I can take of the harmonic balancer. As I was using my phone and taking a photo from the top. What do you guys think?

B91F3CE6-AE7C-448F-A738-04C4BB464315.jpeg

Attachments

• 3060523B-F2F9-421E-B2B8-45D69D9DDD0E.jpeg
    3060523B-F2F9-421E-B2B8-45D69D9DDD0E.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 77
On a side note, if you need the accessories.....I have them. On my '93 I removed the reverse rotation w/p, timing cover, smog pump, p/s, a/c, alt and all the brackets. I replaced them with a '70 timing cover, standard rotation w/p and 130a alt. I went from this.....

tUFsvRkl.jpg

To this. LMK.

UCykhIMl.jpg

Check your local salvage yards for an early 80s Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with a 302. They were serpentine, standard rotation water pump, with power steering.

That's what I robbed the pulleys off of for my Mustang II when I switched it over to serpentine.

0722180646-jpg.jpg

Unfortunately the only picture I can find is from after I took the belt off when the 45-year-old steering rack puked all it's fluid, but you can see what it'd look like.

In your case, you might need a different bracket as well, you'll have to measure.

Well, If I decided to switch to fox everything, what size spacer would I need for the balancer. I found it is a Professional Products 90006# balancer. From what I can see on the photo I took, it looks like it’s running a spacer already though.

That balanver is missing some screws on it. You'll want to address that before you have a failure at RPM with it.

I believe that pulley set is sold as a kit with the alternator brackets. Crank pulley, water pump and alt brackets. You'll likely need to go back to a fox pulley setup, and alternator bracket.

And this

I'd recommend trying to find used for obvious reasons.

You can reuse that balancer, but you'll want to address the missing hardware. I can see two screws missing on it in your pic. I believe you can reused that spacer.