Stangnet, rebuild my mismatched component fresh 306 that my PO built

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
I recently bought a 68 fastback (original J code) with the original motor that has been rebuilt. The PO had no idea what he was doing and built it with mis matching components.

I've stripped everything off the motor and here is what I have to work with

fresh 306
TRW forged flat tops .004 in the hole with 2.7cc of dish
Eagle I beam rods
Stock crank turned .10

I have these heads sitting on my shelf that I bought a long time ago that I'm going to use:

World Windsor Sr. heads with mild port work
milled to 62cc 2.02/1.6 valves which give me 9.51 compression with a .039 head gasekt
crane dual valve springs and the PO used a 294S solid roller camshaft

Motor has original A/C and power steering so I'm not sure how much that would affect the performance of the motor.

Basically I wanted to go a solid flat tappet (save me buying new valve springs), and I was thinking of going with a comp cams 282S dur @.50 236 .578 lift with 1.7 rockers and a 110lobe separation.

Would you guys reccomend going with a single profile or split profile cam with this situation? I was also thinking of running a 150 shot of nitrous down the road when I get enough time to install it(I already have it sitting on my shelf) I hear that more exaust duration is good for using spray

I have a tremec 3550 so I'm not worrid about the stall, but I also don't know what rear gear I have(but will soon be either a 4.10 or 4.56)

I was going to get a victor jr intake and I already have a speed demon 750 mechanical secondary carb sitting on my shelf.

What do you guys think, and do you have any reccomendations on how I should do this differently?

• Sponsors (?)

do you have any flow numbers for the heads? Seems like the windsor sr's flow mid 220's on the intake, and 140-ish on the exhaust in stock form.

How high do you plan to rev it? What is the desired power range?

No flow numbers on the heads, but I'd bet the numbers are a little better then stock....but not that much.

I'll probably rev to 6500 and I just want a good balance of torque and hp.

I don't want to sacrifice all that low end torque for say 5-10 HP at 6300 RPM

OH, and I just lined up a 4.56 8" dropout for $35 until I get the 9" swap ready :D

DarkoStoj said:
No flow numbers on the heads, but I'd bet the numbers are a little better then stock....but not that much.

I'll probably rev to 6500 and I just want a good balance of torque and hp.

I don't want to sacrifice all that low end torque for say 5-10 HP at 6300 RPM

OH, and I just lined up a 4.56 8" dropout for $35 until I get the 9" swap ready :D
Windsor Sr. heads are NOT a "little better than stock". To make power with what you want to use as far as a cam, a Vic Jr, intake and a 750 carb, you're looking to rev it to 7-8000 rpms, not 6500. It's not going to start pulling till 3000-3500 rpms and when it does get to 6500, it's going to shoot to 8 grand before you can lift your foot. You will not have any bottom end torque to speak of. If you want good bottom end, you need a much smaller cam and a dual plane intake, topped with a 600-650 cfm carb.

D.Hearne said:
Windsor Sr. heads are NOT a "little better than stock". To make power with what you want to use as far as a cam, a Vic Jr, intake and a 750 carb, you're looking to rev it to 7-8000 rpms, not 6500. It's not going to start pulling till 3000-3500 rpms and when it does get to 6500, it's going to shoot to 8 grand before you can lift your foot. You will not have any bottom end torque to speak of. If you want good bottom end, you need a much smaller cam and a dual plane intake, topped with a 600-650 cfm carb.
thats exactly how mine runs now because the cam,the 3.80 gears are not working so they will be next