Electrical Starter fusible link

BPA

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2000
S.F.
I replaced the original 1 wire starter on my 89 with the newer style 2 wire mini starter similar to the late 93 and up. The original 4-8 gauge power wire (not sure on the exact size) from the starter solenoid isn’t quite long enough to reach the new mounting location on starter and also pretty corroded. Since I am running a new 10 gauge trigger wire I figured I would run a new 4 gauge power wire as well to fix the problem. My question is, should I put a fusible link on the new 4 gauge wire I’m going to run and if so what size(8 gauge link)? I’ve read that putting an inline 150 amp fuse wouldn’t work because of the initial amp spikes up to 300-500. I wanted to get some thoughts on what to do.

• Sponsors (?)

Kruisr,
Thanks for the reply, I saw that on the wiring diagram but I was figuring since I was already replacing the wiring it wouldn’t hurt to look into the idea for added safety. I had someone mention to me possibly using a slow blow fuse. If I can’t find another viable option to add that extra safety into the wiring I may go with what you said.

The factory starter wire is just a straight wire. I am actually not aware of a vehicle that does have a fuse in the starter wire. I wouldn't put one in.

As the others have said. Just run the wire. No fuse or fusible link.

I recommend 4G wire, and in my application I ran welding cable vs standard battery cable.

Reactions: 1 user