starter grinding on flexplate

86CrownVic

Jun 4, 2011
Hello everyone rookie to the site. Not exactly a Stang question but I've seen a few posts about this problem so here goes. What I got... '85 Merc Grand Marquis with 302 TBI, AOD. Since purchasing 1.5 yrs ago when its warm out the starter would grind on the flexplate when trying to start. Every time I would be able to turn the motor by hand and get it to fire. I finally decided to replace it and in doing so I noticed the block plate (index plate) was damaged so I ordered a new plate from summit racing. Now with everything installed my starter is still grinding on my new flexplate and I am getting more frustrated as time goes on. The only part I haven't replaced is the starter but it has tested good on both attempts and only shows minimal signs of wear on the bendix and no cracks to the nosecone. Now before you answer please note that I have been working on this for over a week now and checked everything multiple times, no loose connections, no loose bolts, no stripped threads, all parts are correct and installed properly. I am at a complete loss with this one and can use any help possible thank you all

• Sponsors (?)

My first thought would have been to replace the starter, would seem that it's only possible that is the problem since the other items aren't moving parts.