Starter problem?

modeladdict

Mar 13, 2009
I've got an 89 LX 5.0/Automatic. I pulled the car out of the garage and reinstalled the factory radio. Then I went to start it & pull it back in the garage and hit the key and nothing. I kept trying to start it, put it in neutral and tried, pushed the car while in gear and then tried. Nothing. Then I smelled something burning, popped the hood and the trigger wire from the solenoid was smoking. The whole wire it appears fried. I'm wondering what caused that? I'm leaning toward the starter being bad because it doesn't always disengage as soon as the car starts. I have a replacement started but it's the high torque version. How do I wire this newer style in my 89? Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

I have found you need to go back to the last thing you have done to your car and start there.... I would guess you have mis wired your stereo and to go back and disconnect all of it and see if your problem goes away....

Reactions: 1 user
If you fried the blue wire with the red stripe then you may need to replace it. I would start tracing it at the ignition switch and make sure it is good there as that is where it begins. You will need a wiring diagram so you know where all it goes. It could get hot enough to melt the PVC jacketing and possibly short out to another wire or metal.

Several threads on here on how to install a high torque mini starter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Years ago I installed a stereo in my sisters car... Started a short in the lights that kept blowing the dash light fuse...
Double checked my wiring a couple of times and was stumped.......
Black wires are always ground right?? Not the black wire with the little tiny white stripe..
Disconnected the stereo and problem was solved... Found a " black" ground wire and fixed it.....
Just saying..