starter wiring question- calling all tech guys

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
i installed a high torque mini starter in my car, this particular starter has its' own solenoid, it took me a long time to figure out the correct wiring configuration to get the new starter to even crank... i ended up having to make a small jumper wire from one terminal on the starter to the other and boom it cranked right over

i think the problem is that there is now both a solenoid on the firewall AND a solenoid on the starter itself, the starter starts the car just fine but there is a loud, annoying grinding noise coming from the starter that can be heard through the shifter boot area that lasts about 1-2 seconds agfter the car has started, i think the starter is getting constant power from the ignition, i am worried the new starter is going to burn out or possibly even chew up my flywheel... anyone experience anything like this before?? or know how to wire this up correctly?? any help would be greatly appreciated

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

the solenoid on the starter is an actuator that pushes the gear in line with the flywheel. the solenoid under the engine bay recives a 12v source from the ignition and transfers power to the starter.

edit: do you have a link to or a pic of the starter? what brand/model is it?

i really have no idea about wiring this thing up correctly, the original single wire that went to the stock starter is now on the large terminal of the new starter, and a small jumper wire is going from the small to the large terminal on the new starter now, i'll try to find a pic of the starter online and post it, the thing didn't even come with instructions

pwm-9162.jpg

looks like this, except didn't come with that wire, or a box for that matter:shrug:

The starter should have an extra male connector on it, requiring a wire. You need to run a trigger wire from your fender solenoid to the extra male pin on the starter.

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first. Now, remove the positive battery wire from the post on the fender solenoid and move it to the other post. Connect one end of a 10g wire to the fender solenoid that the positive wire was on and run it to the male pin on the starter.

Basically move the battery positive wire from one solenoid lug to the other and run a wire from the lug the positive wire was originally on, down to the extra prong on the starter.

The problem with wiring it that way is you are using two solenoids to trigger the starter. With the high failure rate of the stock fender solenoids, it is better to make it non-functioning and strictly using the starter mounted solenoid.

This is a very good call by Saleen0679. You guys will note that even the 94-95 Stangs use a slave-relay to the piggbback solenoid.