Starting Block next month

Nitrox13

Nov 7, 2005
FL
Im starting on the block work in up coming March. Like i said before Im looking for a 300-350 Hp set up for mostly strip/street. (Not a daily driver) Worked block + 100-150 shot of nitrous is what im working up for. First off im taking it to get machined thinking about getting it bored out and going with some forged pistons and stronger rods nitrous ready.

- Can someone quickly show me an overview on how to read after market pistons. Some specs im not too sure of.

-What are the different options when boring out the block as in specs.

-Also clearance with stock heads for now how do I know what fits and what not

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

if it is a stock block, don't worry about going all out with aftermarket forged rods, and crank, etc. The rods and crank will hold enough power to break the stock block. If it will be seeing a power adder, forged pistons are recommended. If you are keeping stock heads, I would guess that basically anything under the sun would clear. Your engine shop will have a better idea though. Reading specs on aftermarket pistons I am not familiar with, but I would definitely as the engine shop.

I second what rollinhard said. I went with SRP forged slugs at 9.8:1 compression and obviously need to order the correct size depending on the bore diameter. If you have no serious cylinder wall issues you may be able to get away with just honing...but i opted for the 0.030 overbore on my motor due to some ridging at the top of the cylinders. I went with the stock resized rods and the stock crank cut 0.010 and polished with the appropriate oversized bearings. I think a very important step in a good bottom end is balancing...the couple hundred bucks up front will just make the car run smoother and with less overall wear and tear on internal components. There are many good forged pistons out there that are reasonably priced and right on the mark for the power levels you are looking at. TRW, JE, SRP, Ross, Speed-pro just to name a few. All of whom will have an application for your combo. Make sure you decide on a cam before hand to ensure P-V clearence....and decide on heads and a combustion chamber size to figure a rough Compression Ratio with each piston/head combo. good luck man

i plan on using a stock polished crank and scat i beams there only 200 and it would cost atleast a100 to redon your stock rods and 50 for new bolts. why not spend another 100 and buy something stronger and better