Starting Issue

EdO

Apr 17, 2017
Hello All,

I recently had a new starter installed on my 66 Inline-6 Automatic. It has been fine for a few months (driving a couple times a week) but noticing the car is sounding really rough on the start. I understand it is cold especially if it has been sitting for a several days sometimes but it seems to almost be a grind. Once it starts up, warmed up its fine and sounds normal. Shifts fine, drives fine, etc. Today, after a couple short drives around town where it started up quickly but again with a rather dry and grinding initial sound, the grind became even worse and went into a spin of the starter and would not start or turn over. I managed to crank the engine manually at the fan a little and got it to engage and start again. Transmission fluid shows to be at the right level.

Any ideas what is causing the rough grinding start? Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I would guess either the flywheel has bad teeth or the starter drive does. Pull the starter out and turn the flywheel with a screw driver, mark it so you know when you have gone 360 degrees. And check the condition of the teeth.

Reactions: 1 users
I would guess either the flywheel has bad teeth or the starter drive does. Pull the starter out and turn the flywheel with a screw driver, mark it so you know when you have gone 360 degrees. And check the condition of the teeth.
Thanks again. I pulled the starter today and took it back to where I bought it. They tested it and found it to be faulty (not sure what it was) and gave me another one. Anyway, new starter is in and starts up just fine now.