Steeda HFAK = Thumbs-Up!

Mega-Man

Aug 6, 2004
Sammamish, WA
I decided to take the plunge and spend the extra coin / get more bling and go with the Steeda HFAK instead of a K&N. Wow! Finished the install last night and took'er on the road this morning to work--very nice gains. Not a lot, but enough to notice. :nice:

Has anyone had / used both the Steeda and K&N to do a comparison?

- Mega

• Sponsors (?)

They usually have shields that block the heat from the engine. I know my FIPK did. Every other one I've seen does too. Plus, air is flowing through there too fast to get hot air from the engine.

The fenderwell CAIs are a pain. I prefer a MAC Straightshot over one of those. I think the straight shots look better too, but that's just my opinion.

Red03Mustang said:
They usually have shields that block the heat from the engine. I know my FIPK did. Every other one I've seen does too. Plus, air is flowing through there too fast to get hot air from the engine.

The fenderwell CAIs are a pain. I prefer a MAC Straightshot over one of those. I think the straight shots look better too, but that's just my opinion.

Yup! What R3M said. The air filter is right up front where the air comes in, it has an aluminum heat shield around it, and the air doesn't hang around long enough for it to heat up.

I got on it again on my way to work and can't believe how more responsive my car is when accelerating. I can 100% say the car breathes better and isn't gasping for air--I love it.

- Mega

Red03Mustang said:

I stand corrected :flag: :cheers:

Red03Mustang said:

Well, some of those heat shields are minimally effective in blocking the filter from sucking in hot air from inside the engine compartment. The best designs completely seal the airbox against the hood like the K&N - see example below.
FIPK.jpg

In addition, I think you are confusing the point about the engine breathing hot air. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your point has to do with the intake tube getting heat soaked. This raises the debate over whether plastic is better than aluminum and / or chromed metal. Your point fits this argument - regardless of the temp of the intake tube, the "air is flowing through there too fast" to be affected by its' (the intake tube's) temp. This is generally accepted to be TRUE. BUT, "air is flowing through there too fast to get hot air from the engine", in and of itself, makes no sense. The engine will suck air from where ever it can, and the air temp has a direct relation to the amount of power you'll make. Typically, for every 10 degree drop of intake air, you'll gain 1 HP. Not much, I know, but that air under the hood is VERY hot. Grab some air that's 50 degrees cooler, and you've found 5 free HP. :cheers: