Steering Box Adjustment

The Dan

Jul 16, 2003
Orange County, CA
I just installed a new steering ram in my 65 FB. It took a lot of slop out of the steering, but it could be a bit better. Can someone give me the readers digest version of adjusting the steering box. More specifically which way to turn the adjustment screws and the do's and don'ts of the adjustment. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Dan-
Very simple.
1. Loosen the retaining nut located on top of the box.
2. Screw in the ajustment screw until it stops.
3. Back it out 1/4 turn.
4. Torque/lock the retaining nut back down
and that is the readers digest version. of course you could follow every spec and use the special tools/gauges listed in the FORD MANUAL...

ARTTII has it right. I did the same adjustment to my stock steering box about 3 months back and the improvement was significant. The adjustment did not eliminate all of the play, but then I do not believe these steering boxes were ever perfect. If you still have "play" in the steering, you might want to take look at your other steering components.

Like I said the new ram made a big difference. If the steering box adjustment makes even a little difference I should be real close to happy. I've got about 3/4" play in each direction at the steering wheel as it is. Hoping to eliminate about half of that.

My wife drove "Sally" the other week and was freaked out by the steering. White nuckles and all! She's spoiled though. She's use to her 02 Harley Edition F-150. I have to fight her to ever get a chance to drive it. I wish my stang had the launch that truck did. It's pretty wicked.

(With my evil grin) Hmmm...will that truck motor fit in the FB???

A well-adjusted steering box will return the wheel to center after turning a corner then relaxing your grip on the wheel. The idler arm and ball stud are often an overlooked components of the steering system.

A while back I put a new steering box into my 73 and it was like driving a new car. After a trip out of town the sterring got really stiff on me like the Power Sterring Pump went out and the play at the wheel came back. I changed the pump and the power steering is effortless again but the play is still with me. I am thinking of taking the new box back to the store. Do you think I should try adjusting it first?