Steering Column Help/:taco:hing

89SportVert

Jun 29, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Hey Y'all,
I purchased a used steering column to replace the cracks/loose one I had. Upon installation it appears to be off set to the right substantially. The turn signals and the wipers do not work.Clearly this did not come out of a 87-89 Mustang as the seller claimed. Could it be Cougar, T-Bird, or Ranger? How can I tell? I should of known the deal was too good to be true a fully dressed column for $175 sounded cheap and now I understand why. I did pull the original multifunction switch and that gave me wipers and turn signals, but the column is still off to the right. Anyone with advice?

• Sponsors (?)

First 1989. Second, the only pics I could provide are of the column installed and the new multifunction switch. I paid my mechanic $300 to install it. Now Im gong to drop another $300 on installing a correct one.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.png
    IMG_1146.png
    5 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1147.png
    IMG_1147.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1148.png
    IMG_1148.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: 1 user
I'd not pay him a dime, if he didn't do it right the first time what make you think he can do it right the second time? More money? I doubt it,
why don't you do the work yourself? We can walk you through it pretty much step by step.
I should ask, did you supply the parts or did the shop?
this a 4cyl car? (Not that it makes any difference unless it was swapped to a V8).

I'd not pay him a dime, if he didn't do it right the first time what make you think he can do it right the second time? More money? I doubt it,
why don't you do the work yourself? We can walk you through it pretty much step by step.
I should ask, did you supply the parts or did the shop?
this a 4cyl car? (Not that it makes any difference unless it was swapped to a V8).
I agree I should be doing this myself. However I suffer from heart failure and respiratory issues and over the past couple years I'm able to do less and less. Yes, I bought the parts not him, and I SHOULD of known better. It seems clear the seller had a tilt column that he hodge poged together to get a sale. My 89 Sport Vert according to all the tags on the car, is a genuine 5.0 Convertible. as far as paying him that ship has sailed.

I'll get some more pics tomorrow when the sun arises again.

Simply loosen the 4 nuts and shift the column left a bit
You can get them to move about 1/2 inch either way left or right
Your mechanic should have just fixed your column if there was a difference between the new one and yours
I have fixed thousands of columns and only replaced one in my life
It was a bastard incomplete vehicle column without an airbag in a 1992 F250

Last edited:
Look at the boot on the floor, does it look like it is scrunched up on one side or is it pretty flat? A pic of that area would help too.
there is a small amount of side to side adjustment but very little, the bottom two holes in the bracket on the tube don't provide any at all, the upper two have a slotted piece that fits, I'll get some pics later, it's really hard to see unless you're a small person and remove the trim at the bottom of the dash.

Reason i ask for a photo from below is to check to see if it was installed correctly.

For instance, here's an 87-89 column. The two main brackets that hold it are offset. I don't think the colume will mount with the one closest to the firewall flipped, but if the top bracket is flipped around, it would position the steering wheel towards the right. Some pics would help confirm this, in which all you need to do is drop the column down, flip that top bracket and bolt it back up.

1638543091896.png

And like i said, the turn signal switch you are using is from a 90-93 mustang. You'd have to repin the electrical connector to get it to work, or you need to go out and buy the correct 87-89 turn signal.

• Agree
Disclaimer... I am trying to help for the first time :) I have a thread everyone here helped me out with so, trying to pay forward. This company can rebuild your column. May want to have that done prior to putting it in. Hopefully helpful info.

columnsgalore.com​

Rebuilt column: $625.00

UPS ground shipping: approx $30.00

Turn around: approx 3 weeks

May not have these columns in stock but can offer to rebuild yours. You would have to ship us your column, we could rebuild it and ship it back to you.

The process: Our rebuilds are completely stripped down, sandblasted to remove any rust and old paint, any broken or worn parts are replaced with new (where available) or high quality OEM used parts. We paint to match the interior of your vehicle (please refer to our website for a chart of available colors) and every column is twelve point bench tested before it goes out.

What it comes WITH: Our columns come with a new (where available) signal switch, new ignition switch, a new lock and two new keys (unless you have an anti-theft-system). Sorry, but we cannot key your ignition to match your doors or send a door lock that matches the ignition! If you have cruise control, your column may come with a new lever depending on the year (the levers for some older vehicle are unavailable). Some levers may be available for an additional cost.

Warranty: All our rebuilds have a 100 %, one year (passenger) or six month (commercial) warranty. This covers tech support, troubleshooting and, if need be, complete replacement or your money back if your rebuild does not perform to standards. Our warranty DOES NOT cover labor, overnight shipping (ground shipping is covered) or claims for repairs to our rebuilds from an outside source. If you have any problems when you receive our rebuild, CALL US IMMEDIATELY, and we will make it right!!!

To 'rebuild' one of our columns requires two inexpensive bearings, if you want new switches most are available, as far as the key switch they are also available, on that note, there is little to go wrong wth our columns, in fact I have a vehicle (97) with 600k+ on it and other than a shift tube that broke due to the cable being worn causing the tube to fracture. I can't justify that money on most old (pre 2000) columns.
I bet that price would be for newer columns.
Yup, they list mostly brand X and Jeep with a few F series trucks, I feel they could do one of our columns but I grew tired of page after page of 4 or 5 choices and you have to call/email for a quote.
Oh, they don't replace the clock spring and a few other bits but they say they are available at a cost.
just an observation

Last edited:
I didn't read all the replies but that steering wheel is from a thunderbird. Not sure if there are differences in the column but I woudl assume so. Try loosening the four bolts that hold the column up and center it to where you want?

I didn't take it that way at all.. I am here to enjoy the forum just, not used to them yet... I appreciate the feedback (from NYC so can't really hurt my feelings anyway) :cool:
NYC ehhh? We won't hold that against you :jester:
your info on the rebuilder was well intended and useful for newer mostly brand X (chevy) cars and we do appreciate any imput, some members hide a dark side, I know I do. (53 chevy pick up that I will say I'm not crazy about).