Steering column swap

• Sponsors (?)

Just take your time....this is all from memory but it will give you an idea....

Disconnect the battery cables

1. Remove the lower dash plastics, trim around the steering wheel
2. Unplug the 4-6 electrical plugs on the column
3. Remove the bolt that attaches the column to the steering shaft, then it will slide out, put a little PB Blaster or WD40 on the joint, they usually stick.
4. Remove the 2 nuts to expose the bolts that hold the column to the dash frame
5. Remove the small support bracket in the front of the dash
6. Pull column out, be careful not to pull on any of the dash harness that is looped around the column.
7. Re-install the oppostite, make sure the intermediate shaft is the same length (this is the part that slides into the steering shaft) If it is shorter or longer pull or puch on the intermediate shaft to make it shorter or longer) It is just pressed into the steering column, it will be tight but it will move. This will allow you to bolt it right back in the same position.

If you want to swap the key switch, put your key in, turn the key to the ON postion and use a small allen wrench or punch to push in the pin to release the key switch. I can't remember off the top of my head if you have to pull the ignition switch out of the way or not... It will require a security torx bit, I think it is a T15. The trim plastic around the wheels were diffferent in the sub 1990 models with out airbags.

Good Luck,

Rick

hmmm.. I pulled my tilt from a 88 and it had the same plugs as my 91 except for one small plug and of course the airbags stuff is deleted....

Nice info JR, I always forget about the AZ diagrams