steering column swap?

I have a '98 Mustang V6 manual with tilt steering and airbags. I am needing to replace the steering column and having a hard time finding a replacement. I have found a '95 steering column but it is automatic. Does anyone know if these two years are interchangable and if it being automatic and my is manual make a difference? Thanks for any help offered.

• Sponsors (?)

Try this. Go to car-part.com. Search for your Model Year. Look at the other MY's that come up. This will give you an idea of the possible interchange.

The other thing that comes quickly to mind is a manual steering column will have a separate key interlock to prevent accidental key locking. The automatic will not have this separate interlock.

The other difference that comes to mind is the lack of an anti-theft PATS receiver. The 95 will not have this.

It may be possible to swap selected parts from the old to the new. However, I am surprised you are having problems finding the correct steering column. This is usually the kind of part that is easily abtainable via a local salvage yard. Again, try car-part.com

You are aware that you could swap the cylinder locks from your car into the new column right? Even if that means breaking the replacement cylinder.

Consider talking to a lock smith. They can really help with this sort of thing.