Steering loose. Missing nut??

Whitcraft

Dec 17, 2018
Alabama
My steering has a lot of play I found the area where the slack is and it looks like it's missing a nut, but the bolt is very tight. Could this be my problem?
VideoCapture_20181217-011638.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That's the one in the engine bay, right? Check joint under the dash as well. Mine loosened up suddenly one day and was almost dangerous to get home, looked under the dash and the bolt was backed out. There was no nut on that one, but I put thread lock on it.

Also, check for play in the rubber "rag joint" under the hood there

It's taking everything in my power to not make a joke about the nut behind the wheel being the real problem:rlaugh::rlaugh: good luck with the fix!

I think you are right. The shaft is threaded on one side only, so the bolt is inserted incorrectly and not "pinching" the pinion.

You can see the shiny area where the bolt head flange previously contacted on this side. Far side is thresded

Thank you. I'm going to try turning it around tomorrow. I just got the car and I cant imagine a scenario where someone would remove the bolt in the first place and not notice that it was reinstalled upside down.

Well it will tighten up until snug when you install it backwards, but the steering will remain very loose. Why you wouldn't immediately check it after driving it and feeling how loose it is is another question...

Hopefully this is the only head shaking thing you find. The PO(S?) of my car didn't realize the front brake pads are inside and outside specific. He jammed two outside into one side and two inside into the other, which must not have been that easy. The dimple on the pad that's supposed to keep you from installing it in the wrong side then was pushed into the caliper piston and cracked it in half :doh:

Throw a dab of threadlock on that bad boy when you put it in the correct side as well!