Steering rack question

Hi All,

I was trying to figure out where my squeak/creaking is coming from when I turn the wheel and it not the ball joints or tie rod ends.
I notice when I touch the steering rack rods and have someone turn the wheel the squeak/creak is coming for the rack it seems inside the rubber boots either end of the steering rack.
Are the joints not lubed by the power steering fluid??

thx!

• Sponsors (?)

TSB 05-14-3 SQUEAK/CREAK NOISE FROM STEERING RACK

Look first at the steering rack support tubes. There is a Ford TSB about this problem. The fix is to install new tubes and re-torque the steering rack support bolts.

Had the same problem on my 03. Usually happens at the limit of steering travel. Sounds like a creak.

>>
TSB 05-14-3

07/25/05

SQUEAK/CREAK NOISE FROM STEERING RACK
WHEN TURNING

FORD:
2002-2004 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 04-24-8 to update the Action.

ISSUE
Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise when turning.

ACTION
Replace both power steering gear tube brackets.
Refer to Workshop Manual Section 211-02 Steering Gear Mounting. Tighten the steering gear mounting fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N.m).

Look first at the steering rack support tubes. There is a Ford TSB about this problem. The fix is to install new tubes and re-torque the steering rack support bolts.

Had the same problem on my 03. Usually happens at the limit of steering travel. Sounds like a creak.

That's exactly when it happens! but I found it doesn't happen when the car is jacked up:shrug:

If there was a TSB I am probably SOL since my car is 7ys old now, unless I pay for it.

I have this problem and it's coming from the swaybar bushings on my passenger side. Replacement parts are in hand, will post up once it's complete as to whether or not it fixed the problem (also installing offset polyurethane steering rack bushings and fresh front spring iso's).