steering wheel clocks to right please help!!!

boffobullyz_tony

Feb 26, 2013
So i just bought another coupe and have had something happen that ive never heard of or experienced so here it goes. Picked car up and steering wheel was clocked 90 deg to the right. I get the car home and pull airbag, steering wheel, and what i think is clock spring/ collar? Make sure wheels are straight, line all up and reinstall. Looks good and i think all is well. Go to hop in the car and run to the store and when i pull out of the drive and straighten wheels back up, the steering wheel has automatically reclocked 90 deg to the right again. Im lost can somebody please help. Car is a 93 coupe

• Sponsors (?)

The steering wheel didn't magically come out of alignment on its splines. The problem probably was (and is) in the front suspension, either some tie rod ends are failing or the rack is moving on its mounts. Or the rag joint is hanging on by a pubic hair. Or the rear suspension is coming apart and the car is dog-tracking down the road.

What MFE said. Turn the wheel all the way to the left and to the right, then back to the center with the wheel in the correct position. What direction are both front wheels pointing? Are the tires showing irregular wear patterns. Are they centered in the wheel wells.

There's your starting point. You either have some front suspension, steering issues and/or the car was wrecked.

How much slack are in the tie rod joints and universal & flex joint steering shaft couplers?

The universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers can be inspected with the car parked on the ground. With the engine off, have a helper rock the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers for excessive slack. You'll need a sharp eye and a strong light to do a good job.

Support the car on jackstands with the jackstands placed as close to the wheel as possible. With the steering locked, have a helper try to move each front wheel just like it would move if you turned the steering wheel. While they are rocking the wheels, you are under the car watching for slack in the tie rods.