Step By Step Orange Peel Eliminator

Excellent helpful post Paul. Here's one thing I'd add. Sometimes folks get excited about something like this and proceed only to get a little surprise. And here's where the surprise can come in. When you cut/buff or 'color' sand one, it's critical that the BODY WORK and PREP that was done BEFORE the paint was laid on be perfect. Otherwise folks sometimes find that their now smooth paint is revealing not so smooth body work. If the same care wasn't given to the underlying prep (how smooth is it?) then a little orange peel can actually be a good thing.

Not saying don't try it -- just saying that if you do try it, it will definitely reveal how good (or not) the paint prep was. I've known a few people who color sanded theirs only to wish they hadn't because their underlying body work wasn't up to snuff.

I'd also add that rookies may find it best to actually mask the sharp body edges for the 1000/2000 wet sanding to avoid not only cutting through the clear, but actually cutting through the paint. Happens all the time to those new to paint finish-work.

good additions - and a good way to kind of veer from showing "AS" much bad body work would be to instead of using a DA sander, to absolutely use a long (6-7") HARD BLOCK wet sand - DA will just go into the crevices of bad body work (or not bad, butnot perfect) but a hard block can smooth things out - DEF good tip w/ the taping off sharp edges - they burn soooooooo eazily lol

we put a coat of sealer, 3 coats of ford performance white, to coats of pearls, then 2 coats of clear on top of that, and people dont beileve me when i say it has pearl, just wondering why it did'nt really show the way i've seen other cars

yea i guess it's either the pearl that you picked wasn't a heavy enough one, or if you didn't put enough in, but since your not planning on painting it again i hope, i hope you are still happy with it... I'd be able to tell in a heart beat if there was pearl in it lol it's just not obvious to some people man - it may be the ppl u tell - i'm sure w/o it it wouldn't be the same...

Good info man, that's the way I used to do it. No one ever really taught me the right way though....I had to kinda teach myself. My car was painted at a Maaco before I bought it, and it does have a number of runs and orange peel, even a few fish eyes that I noticed. Now I always wanted to wet sand it myself, but I didn't know how much clear was on the car and didn't want to risk it. I always keep the car looking good, but I do notice the imperfections. If you would want to take a look at it sometime and you think it would be safe to wet sand I would pay you to do it. I would trust your opinion since you are around this type of stuff all the time. I detailed for three years while in college, but I only ever had to wet sand a car maybe 5 times. They always came out good, but they were always newer cars and I was touching up the factory paintjob. If you want to take a look at it sometime let me know. I work in King of Prussia and live in the Willow Grove area.

whiteheat - a good way to find out how much clear is on the car -

If the car was painted w/o taillights- take out one of your taillights, and there will be paint behind them - sand there where you cannot see until you break through - than you know how far you can go - if not a taillight, a head light or some other place - i hope they took the taillights out to spray your car, but it IS Macco - good chance there is not clear and its single stage - ppl I know said they paid for clear, but when i sanded their cars, they all turned up w/ no clear, just turned my pads and wet sand bucket the color of their cars lol but single stage isn't a bad thing at all - it's just cheaper - and harder to blend if your not painting a full car-

How do i remove dried up buffing compound(pretty sure thats what it is)? Bought this car, it was recently painted and i guess they didn't do a very good job of cleanup. Its kinda thick in some spots(white and seems pretty dang hard), mainly in the gaps(trunk seems to be the worst) but underhood as well. Thanks

i like 3Ms new hook it system with the interface pad and the 300o grit paper for the da esp on a black surface!!!

Paul,
Nice advice. I painted my 92 a few years back. I wet sanded and buffed it out pretty much like you said. It was the first time I had done that sort of work, but I'm definitely a guy who was willing to work and be patient and do the job right. I recommend first timers don't use a DA, but instead to all the sanding by hand. It will help avoid moving too fast and screwing things up.

Anyway, the paint is the dark emerald green metalic color (same as stock) and it turned out beautifully...better than the factory. People comment on it all the time. It shines like a mirror. It came out so good, I converted the car from my daily driver to a summer only car.

Do you have recommendations on what compounds people should be using for the buffing part? I recall I used one compound with the wool pad that was by 3M. It had a light tan color. There was another compound I used with the foam pad that was formulated for dark colors. I think that was by 3M as well.

Nice write-up Paul,

I second the comments above though about not using a DA. I would leave that until people are a little more experienced. Until then hand sand.

Also not all buffing systems are the same as far as color of pads and steps. The eastwood kit is good, Groits is good as well and has a great buffer in the kit. But most pro use the 3M stuff. So read the kit instructions and be patience. It will look great.

yea - good additions - def use wet sanding, that da will burn through an edge n you will be very dissapointed -
3M is the compound we use, it is the best we have found so far, but there is off brand names that are quite good as well, but I've only used one other kind, and it didnt' quite measure up, adn i can't remember what its called - ! -

Paul, How do I know when I am getting to deep into my clearcoat? I did not have my gun adjusted properly and have orange peel real bad in the clearcoat. I have been sanding with 1000 grit, but I do not want to sand too far. As I sand and wipe dry, am I trying to get a uniform dull finish? I still see some shinyspots along with some dull spots. I am pretty sure that is the reason for the orange peel. I am I going for a uniform dull finish? I put three coats of clear so I should have room to work with. Let me know your thoughts and I appreciate your help!