Stick Shift Newbie Questions

dbrufus1234

Sep 10, 2006
Hi all,
I picked up my 2013 mt82 5.0 a couple days ago. This is my first manual transmission car and I have a couple questions. I have pretty much got starting in first and shifting through the gears pretty good, not always super smooth but it is getting better each day. I am still having trouble on hills and sometimes kinda panic and give it to much gas while slipping the clutch and have smelt some burnt clutch after this happens. How bad is this for the clutch? I just have to make sure I'm not doing anything to bad for the trans while I am learning the ropes.

Another thing I noticed is I get a clunk noise when I am going slow in first gear and press the clutch in. Sounds to be coming from the rear. I've read these trans are clunky and I'm sure it's normal, just wanted to ask.

Also, I still haven't gone WOT in any gear. Don't want to mess anything up. How long did you wait before really banging through the gears for the first time?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How steep are the hills? If they're not too crazy you should be able to hang the car off the clutch. In other words release the clutch to that point where it will hold the car but not propel it forward, then you can moderate gas medal as required. The clunking your most likely hearing is the slack in the drivetrain, it's normal in a manual rear wheel drive car.

I have only done 1 WOT pull. It was only through 1st gear and when I pressed the clutch in it felt much firmer than normal? Its not the issue where the clutch pedal stays on the floor, it just felt much firmer under a load. Should I get it checked out or is it normal?