Still going strong...

Just a lil' update about my 06' vert. I just passed 28,000 total miles with just over 15,000 miles since my supercharger install. Very reliable system for anyone worried about that sort of thing (in my experience...not opinion). Obviously, it is a daily driver and I have taken cross country trips and lots of inner city driving. Only minimal problems have ever been experienced...stemming from codes throwing from bad cam position sensors, which can occur on stock or supercharged stangs. It caused a lot of unsteady acceleration and jerking at cruising speed. The shop that installed my SC purchased AND installed the cam position sensors for free for me. Problem free since. They have treated me well.

My vert puts around 440rwhp. I hate race tracks because I never can "hook" due to non-cooperating street tires. The dissapointing low 13 second passes due to poor traction and even some 'sideways action' has led me to stay away from tracks. Someday when I get good tires I will go back.

Finally learned how to drive my car a couple weeks ago. After learning what "granny shifting" means, someone showed me a different technique. I would always wound up the gear...let off the gas and push the clutch in...then chift it back, causing my rpm's to reduce between shifts. With this type of blower, power is made through higher rpm's. So I am loosing power allowing the rpm's to fall. Most everyone probably knows this, but I did not.

So one day, on a lonely stretch of texas highway, I launched it at 4000rpm. I Held the gas down while shifting and pushed the clutch in quickly and slammed it into 2nd. The shift change was quick like an automatic and my head snapped back, tires were breaking traction trhoughout 1st and 2nd....the same thing happened going into 3rd. Even the change to 4th barked the tires, then I let off of it. Crazy!

After slowing back down from well over a 100mph (hadnt even tried to go to 5th) I was so excited. I felt like the day I first drove it. A new car. And a lil' bit later I was in 4th gear running at 55mph. I pressed the gas down and then puch the clutch and dropped it into 3rd with the high rpm. I literally broke traction (kinda went sideways) at a 55mph roll. :eek:

Sorry this story is so long, but I had a really good time and am getting better at this shifting technique someone told me about. I think now if I get good tires and use this technique at the track, I might get A LOT better on my passes! I figured I would share my experience:D

• Sponsors (?)

blackonblack, your not going to ever run good times with a 440+ HP car at the track without addressing traction. What I want you to understand though, is don't shy away from the track. A disappointing 13second pass being described like you did " getting sideways " means your in a mid to low 12 second car, if not a little better. Without seeing your slips there is not much we can do to help you run a better number. Just remember some people are running some incredible numbers on street tires. Those numbers don't come easy. Adjusting drivers technique, air pressure, launch methods and numerous others tweaks can get you a much more respectable time until you can go get the drag radial or slicks you want.

The track is too fun to avoid, a lot can be learned just from being there and seeing what others do to shave their Et's.

Anyway, glad someone showed you the technique.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Yes I will go back someday soon. My request to my wife just got approved for new tires to ring in the new year. I am going to get the KDW's.
Wish I could locate the slips from the last track time, not real sure where they are at. Thanks for the link it was an interesting read. Merry Christmas to everyone out there!!!!