stock headlights are too dim, any replacements?

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
im still a teenager, so i like to go out a lot at night, and to be honest with you, my lights suck! they are very dim, and even the high beams are quite low on the ground. first, are there any replacement bulbs i can get that will illuminate the road better?? i was in pepboys the other day and i saw some silverstars and some pretty generic "hyper white" bulbs. will any of these help? also, how can i adjust the high beams to aim higher?

• Sponsors (?)

i thought the same thing when i got mine. i think the only way ur gonna get brighter lights is if you go with a HID system or something. and thats $$. I bought some of those hyper white bulbs off ebay...had them in for one night. they made it worse. they also seemed to have some kind of blue tint to them, so i might have just gotten shafted. they're fairly cheap tho, if the ones at pepboys look legit, might be worth a try.

my headlights sucked too, they were all fogged up(I think the 2000's have this problem as well....actually a lot of fords have this problem). I replaced the headlight fixture w/some clear smoked ones off of ebay and bought some euro designz headlights at the same time as well, they are much brighter now, although my low beams aim a little low......I believe there is a screw to adjust them check a chilton/haynes manual if you have it.

I thought it was just me, or the fact that this is what I had right before I got my '04 GT:

470111_11_full.jpg

I think I am going to put them in the Mustang now. :nice:

You might look for some Silver Star lights, I installed some in my 03 Buick Rendezvous and it made a world of difference, THe light was much brighter and whiter, I'm going to get some for my 04 GT soon. I know they have them at Advance Autos but I got mine off Ebay for a good price. HTH. Jason

It's a good thing you brought this up. The most recent issue of Mustang Enthusiast actually addresses these and other issues. There are several aftermarket bulbs you can buy that simulate the Xenon effect, and also explains how the lights work. There's also other upgrade options, and an install article. It's a really good article, check it out. It's the issue with Steve Saleen and his car on the cover. :nice:

I'm familiar with the dim lights...my '98 weren't exactly brilliant. I hate to say this but my '03 Honda Accord has wonderful lighting in comparison. I now have '01 GT (hobby car) but its never been out at night (no :bs: ). I figure it should be at least 7 years old before I can let it out after dark! :D