Fox Stock is going up, boys!!!

LS Swaps seem to be an epidemic on Netflix lately, soon as I hear that I tune out. I would do the same with Camaro/Coyote Swap etc too. Growing up the Chevy Guys had so much to choose from aftermarket compared to Ford but tended to go the course with OEM except for old hot rods. Beating a Bow Tie felt even better with the handicap then though.

• Sponsors (?)

LS Swaps seem to be an epidemic on Netflix lately, soon as I hear that I tune out. I would do the same with Camaro/Coyote Swap etc too. Growing up the Chevy Guys had so much to choose from aftermarket compared to Ford but tended to go the course with OEM except for old hot rods. Beating a Bow Tie felt even better with the handicap then though.

If someone buys a car, and wants to put an LS in it, that's their business. It annoys me that so many get fed so much bad information though. Sure, you can get a Gen IV 5.3 for $150, but you are not getting it in the car for less than the price of a Ford engine that can dish out the same amount of performance. Maybe if it's an all out drag build, with absolutely nothing else. However, you will have to tack on many hours of your own time. I can't imagine a point in my life where I put that little value on my time.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
If someone buys a car, and wants to put an LS in it, that's their business. It annoys me that so many get fed so much bad information though. Sure, you can get a Gen IV 5.3 for $150, but you are not getting it in the car for less than the price of a Ford engine that can dish out the same amount of performance. Maybe if it's an all out drag build, with absolutely nothing else. However, you will have to tack on many hours of your own time. I can't imagine a point in my life where I put that little value on my time.

Kurt
Kurt, in my nicest possible internet voice, I'm gonna have to challenge you on that statement. Yeah, it's their business, but by far and large, just because they choose to throw something into a rat nasty looking package doesn't mean anybody else has to like it. Just as much as LS dude is entitled to his choice to put an LS in whatever he chooses, to include a fox, the collective chooses not to like it for that reason. A car is more than what's under the hood.
I'm sure that preaching love and harmony regardless of what somebody does with their car because it's their car, is the soapbox you want to stand on, and I'm not gonna try and drag you off of it. Just the same as I have no tolerance for hackers, butchers, or classless rides just because they're fast, But when the shoe is on that foot, I got a "snotty attitude." Somewhere, out there, something somebody has done crosses some boundary for you, it's just a matter of what you find in poor taste. And when you do,..be sure to not sneer when you look at it.

For you it's about your time I guess..how valuable it is. It's ok for anybody to do anything to their car as long as they don't waste their time then?.....
However, you will have to tack on many hours of your own time. I can't imagine a point in my life where I put that little value on my time.

What car have you ever worked on that wasn't a waste of your time? That is if you're comparing using your time for something else..like being with family, or earning your living?

I've said it before. Somebody puts something in front of the rest of the world, and it's open for a thumb up, or a thumb down.

With me it's a chevy vs ford thing.
yeah you can make crap ton of power fairly cheap with an LS but it's a chevy and I have an attitude with a chevy engine in a ford.
i'd be more inclined to put a cummings turbo 4 cyl in a stang.

Right on!
Rice IS better than mice.
This is contrary to what you said two replies up. If it's a Chevy in a ford thing, it should also be a Toyota in a ford thing,...ep( even more so) I think there is an better tolerance for an LS engine over the 2j. At least it keeps it in the same country of origin.

It's a chevy vs ford thing with me. I don't care about toyotas, nissan, kia, hell, even a hugo. I grew up ford/lincoln/mercury. I had friends then and now that are chevy guys. They are all like 'you gotta put a chevy in it to make it faster' BS. 98% is all in fun, then there are the 2% that you want to punch in the mouth but they are mostly just poor sports. And yes there are one or two (may be more?) ford guys I would punch in the mouth but I don't hang with them.
model t and a cars got sbc engines put in them because #1 they where cheap, you could find them behind 2 otta 3 mailboxs, all the speed shops had shelves full of cheap (not cheap as in poorly made) sbc parts. Most speed part companies where started by chevy guys, Vic Edelbrock was probably the most famous.
And they made a bazillion a and t cars compared to chevys. And they were cheap to buy.
That is where (and most hotrodders know this) it came from.
You know that part.
I don't dislike chevys
I don't think ford is superior to chevy (I do think that but I also know that is personal preference)
once I see a ls swapped ford my brain clouds over and I don't care how shiny it is, not interested.
now you come in here and spout your shine up this, that wire is otta place that like your the omnipotent car builder and overall judge of car culture, that is just your personality, like some others here you are a perfectionist, your :poo: is going to be right or it's going in the trash and you start again till it is. the difference between you and the other perfectionists here is you are not going to sugar coat it, you have been there, done that, witnessed what happens and you want to let others know. I
i'm not impressed with an ls swapped ford.
now a 2j will get my attention because it's different, not the norm, kinda like you.
I like you, you speak your mind, don't cut your ear off.

I personally don’t care what engine is in a car. I’m more concerned with quality of the swap. If I see a 2JZ swap with power steering and AC and looks very well done with attention to detail, I’m gonna like it.

• Agree
It's a chevy vs ford thing with me. I don't care about toyotas, nissan, kia, hell, even a hugo. I grew up ford/lincoln/mercury. I had friends then and now that are chevy guys. They are all like 'you gotta put a chevy in it to make it faster' BS. 98% is all in fun, then there are the 2% that you want to punch in the mouth but they are mostly just poor sports. And yes there are one or two (may be more?) ford guys I would punch in the mouth but I don't hang with them.
model t and a cars got sbc engines put in them because #1 they where cheap, you could find them behind 2 otta 3 mailboxs, all the speed shops had shelves full of cheap (not cheap as in poorly made) sbc parts. Most speed part companies where started by chevy guys, Vic Edelbrock was probably the most famous.
And they made a bazillion a and t cars compared to chevys. And they were cheap to buy.
That is where (and most hotrodders know this) it came from.
You know that part.
I don't dislike chevys
I don't think ford is superior to chevy (I do think that but I also know that is personal preference)
once I see a ls swapped ford my brain clouds over and I don't care how shiny it is, not interested.
now you come in here and spout your shine up this, that wire is otta place that like your the omnipotent car builder and overall judge of car culture, that is just your personality, like some others here you are a perfectionist, your :poo: is going to be right or it's going in the trash and you start again till it is. the difference between you and the other perfectionists here is you are not going to sugar coat it, you have been there, done that, witnessed what happens and you want to let others know. I
i'm not impressed with an ls swapped ford.
now a 2j will get my attention because it's different, not the norm, kinda like you.
I like you, you speak your mind, don't cut your ear off.
Well...you feel better? Nothing like a good rant to clear your senses huh?

Meh,..you've just never owned something with an LS in it. ( I've now owned three). Things might've been different for you had you owned a GTO.
TO THIS MINUTE.... I hate a traditional LT SBC. I hate the engine in the cars it came in from the factory. Distributors, in the rear, timing chain covers that require a button to keep the cam from moving around, starters that have to be shimmed, and sparkplugs that are always a pain in the ass to change.

And that's before I start discounting the thing for boring factor..Nothing says more boring to look at than a carbureted SBC.
( but an injected 5.0 in a mustang is damn close)

For me ( and I don't have to tell anybody this)it's about how it looks anymore. They're all gonna run, or can be made to run. I detest even a reference to a "sleeper". Nothing about a high horsepower combo in a sheeps clothing car fools anybody with a brain, or has been around the block at least once. In the end, the only sleeper part of the equation is the bone head that thinks a ratty looking car is slow.

That don't change the fact that a ratty looking car is still a ratty looking car.

An LS engine pisses off the blue bloods because it's a damn good engine. It's not Chevrolets fault that their engineers were smart enough to continue to court an OHV platform that shared the same architecture between several size versions, with a super strong, small frame block either made out of aluminum ( LS1) or cast iron. Then couple that to the fact that they put in every freakin car or truck they made.

It's fords fault that after they decided to bail on their OHV platform, they went out to se how many different versions of a v8, or V10 they could make in the next 20 years with either a SOHC with 2 valves that was 4.6 l, or a 3 valve version, or a DOHC 4 valve version, then make a SOHC 5.4l version, then make a DOHC 5.0 version,...Any and all of which won't fall out of a tree unless they're supercharged.( excepting the last engine)
and EVERYONE of them stupid expensive to modify.
For every guy on this forum. The choice to modify or upgrade the engine in their car is based on abandoned tech from the factory. A 5.0 pushrod V8 is an old engine to the guys at ford corporate...and it hasn't been CURRENTfor almost 20 years. To the guys at Chevrolet an LS is curent...and it HAS BEEN for 20 years.
Get the picture why you see so many LS engines in every damn thing out there.?
Don't hate them because they did something right...You never see a ford engine in anything it doesn't belong in ( unless I'm doing it)...simply because it doesn't make one damn bit of sense to do it.

Last edited:
Strangely I agree with you.
and I have driven a lot of different chevy's with various ls engines in them, several corvettes and many camaros, various trucks too. I do believe they are outstanding engines and I've read several 'cheap ls tricks for big power' articles.
they just don't impress me when they are stuck in a ford.
likely more jealousy than hatred, just don't tell anyone.

The price is definitely going up on these cars. I've been on the hunt for a roller now in MA and have yet to find anything decent under 2500 that's been gutted to all death. nicer hatchbacks with clean bodys are selling for over 6k too. when did this happen??

What does this tell us?

Because it's fast it can look like ass? Guys that think fast is all that matters, and the car can look like crap are the same guys that used to put SBC's in these cars...slightly off center.

The car becomes instantly worth as much as it looks to be.

My car is the exception, it looks like ass and is slow as ass.

• Haha
when did this happen??
The primary preciptating factors were "Cash For Clunkers" and all of the convoys of used cars headed for Mexico on a daily basis.

Throw in rust, attrition due to foxes frequently being totalled, and the various other reasons cars slowly disappear from the roads, and you've got the current situation where foxes are suddenly worth something.

The same thing has happened to the 71-73 cars. If it wasn't a Mach or a Boss, nobody wanted it 10 years ago, now there are 302 Grande coupes going for $10,000.

Hell, it's even happened to Mustang IIs as well, I never thought I'd see the day where running & driving V8 Mustang IIs for $1000 all day every day was a thing of the past, but that number has pretty much tripled, and nice Cobras and Kings that were $5000 at the most ten years ago are now $10k-20k depending on options/mods/color etc. I never thought I'd see a return on investment on my '75 when I bought it in 2012, but I've turned down offers for more than I've got in it.

The only "cheap" Mustangs left right now are the 96-98 cars (those can be had for next to nothing all damned day right now), but with them being excellent Coyote swap candidates, and the costs of Coyote swaps dropping thanks to the saturation of these engines in salvage yards now, I can see that changing too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The only "cheap" Mustangs left right now are the 96-98 cars (those can be had for next to nothing all damned day right now), but with them being excellent Coyote swap candidates, and the costs of Coyote swaps dropping thanks to the saturation of these engines in salvage yards now, I can see that changing too.

Which is great, because it's the best Mustang chassis ever made!

Kurt

For every guy on this forum. The choice to modify or upgrade the engine in their car is based on abandoned tech from the factory. A 5.0 pushrod V8 is an old engine to the guys at ford corporate...and it hasn't been CURRENTfor almost 20 years. To the guys at Chevrolet an LS is curent...and it HAS BEEN for 20 years.

Actually, LS engines haven't been current for what, 3 years now.

I agree with the SBCs being a pain in every way. That damn timing cover that has is almost impossible to get off without dropping the oil pan.

I think the next car I get is going to be the rattiest thing I can find. Hit the safety wall, don't care. Never have to worry about it being stolen. Never think about washing it. It's going to be great. Not much offends me these days. I have learned to let it go. The biggest waste of my time was trying to fix up an old car trailer. I have done a lot of things that were a waste of my time. That's my point though. I wish all those yelling "LS Swap it!" would let the unsuspecting first timer know how much work and nickel and dime parts it is.

Kurt

• Agree
I'm just gonna do whatever the hell I want. It's just that it never crossed me to put a Ford motor in a POS Chevy platform, because none is better than the fox. It also never crossed me to put a chevy in a fox, because why the hell would I want that pain in the ass? You do whatever the hell you want, and I'll do whatever the hell I want too. When you don't like my Ford powered Ford, then let's race, or shut up. I'm probably going to win, but if you do, I'm still going to laugh and shake my head about it. You do you. The 2JZ Fox on youtube is a novelty and kinda funny to me, though.

These coyotes are really something else, though. What's coming from the factory today is absolutely incredible. No built lower end, now computer, no heads, just intake cams, turbo system & fuel system and 1000 rwhp... If I'm going to do an engine swap, gimme that one.

I'm just gonna do whatever the hell I want. It's just that it never crossed me to put a Ford motor in a POS Chevy platform, because none is better than the fox. It also never crossed me to put a chevy in a fox, because why the hell would I want that pain in the ass? You do whatever the hell you want, and I'll do whatever the hell I want too. When you don't like my Ford powered Ford, then let's race, or shut up. I'm probably going to win, but if you do, I'm still going to laugh and shake my head about it. You do you. The 2JZ Fox on youtube is a novelty and kinda funny to me, though.

These coyotes are really something else, though. What's coming from the factory today is absolutely incredible. No built lower end, now computer, no heads, just intake cams, turbo system & fuel system and 1000 rwhp... If I'm going to do an engine swap, gimme that one.

I am definitely going Coyote next time. Engines that come with MLS head gaskets from the factory, yes please. All composite gaskets everywhere else. I am tired of chasing oil leaks.

The foxbody platform is pretty good. I still have a friend running an FC RX7 though. SBC filled with quikcrete, a bunch of nitrous, and the thing is a heartbreaker. It's hard to beat a car that light.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2ysfZV8-M

Kurt

• Hell Yeah!